Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New XR  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Middlepatent

• XR Member
  • Bike: GSA, XR
New XR
« on: August 31, 2015, 05:59:59 PM »
I have 2,000 miles on a white XR. I started the summer with my trusty GSA and added a 2015 Multistrada. After 3,000 miles I sold the Ducati (at a big loss) because the Multi was unreliable and had serious problems with electronics and engine heat. OK, you live and learn.
The XR is a fantastic bike but I am now dealing with a problem that is getting worse as I ride it. The bike started with a a slight pull to the right. It was annoying but I thought  we could figure it out over time. That was naive. I spent two days on the track last week and the "annoying" problem on the roads became a more serious issue when cornering at speed. Simply stated, the bike does not want to go into left turns and fights to get upright in left leans. Basically, the bike won't hold hard left corners. To the right it's a joy and I recall the first few miles on the bike before the left turn issue became such a problem. I brought the bike into the shop and the right pull was confirmed. We found that the rear wheel was 2 mm out of spec and corrected it. We changed the steering damper as well but, the problem persists. At highway speeds I am forced to counter steer to hold the lane.
I don't know how many of these bikes have this issue. The demo at the shop has a slight pull to the right but likely came off of the same batch of bikes. Reports pop up but mostly they are by disgruntled customers. That's not me, I love the bike and have ordered the Akropovic upgrade. All based on this problem finding a resolution. A bike with this power and capability should have reasonably neutral steering. It's a hazard without it.
At this point I am not sure what happens next. My dealer is in contact with the boys from Berlin....
Anyone else having this problem?
The old adage about not buying first year models seems to be horribly accurate. Any similar experiences?
Middlepatent

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
Re: New XR
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 03:00:17 AM »
Welcome to the forum!
A number of people have initiallty complained about this as an issue but I think most of those problems were attributed to real wheel alignment.  Nice thing is that the bike is under warranty and they will get it ( pardon the pun ) straightened out.
Let us all know what is found to be the problem.   :305:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2015, 07:45:28 AM »
My bars are pointed slightly to the left and it steers right if I take my hands off the bars and don't weight a peg slightly
It isn't huge and i am of the opinion that it is the forks on mine that need adjusting slightly.

1st service today so hopefully will be sorted

other than that i have no issues and just love it !
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline Middlepatent

• XR Member
  • Bike: GSA, XR
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 12:13:45 PM »
I love the bike too but this steering issue got by their engineers. I don't know if every bike has it but it's prevalent. And unacceptable.
We adjusted the rear without effect. The problem is more severe in hard cornering and track riding.
My guess is that corporate is going to have to fix this. But, please let us know if your shop comes up with a solution.
Middlepatent