Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: XR Negotiated Purchase Price vs. MSRP - US Riders  (Read 4663 times)

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
XR Negotiated Purchase Price vs. MSRP - US Riders
« on: July 28, 2018, 10:33:31 PM »
Hi Folks,

Prospective XR owner here (in the US).  I'm trying to decide between going after a used XR or trying to find a great deal on a new one and I'm interested to know what kind of savings you have been able to negotiate from MSRP on your new XRs?  I'd appreciate your input regarding what US dealers are generally willing to discount these bikes from MSRP when new.  If you would please include the month and year of your purchase, your model year and the selling dealer.

Please don't include anything like the Demo, BMWCCA, MSF, Conquest, etc. discounts/rebates.  Just the amount they came off their asking price, before any other rebates, discounts or credits.

Thank you.   :440:
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
Re: XR Negotiated Purchase Price vs. MSRP - US Riders
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 12:22:39 AM »
I guess you would want my address, credit card #, DOB, and mothers maiden name as well.  :008:
JK!
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2018, 12:55:36 AM »
 Nope, just a little basic data to help me and any others that might be interested in a new XR.  Can't imagine that would be a problem for anyone.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2018, 10:06:58 AM »
Speedy - while at SDBMW (San Diego) a couple of months ago the salesman I know said that they're providing very little if any discounts on new 2017 XR's, which was based on limited stock, much more demand. IMO, I've found that during these times one might be able to get a 10% +/  - discount, good luck.
mike k

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2018, 02:14:10 PM »
Thanks, Mike.

That's helpful.  Anybody have some data for me outside of the West Coast?  The XRs seem to sell fairly well out there, but not so much in many other parts of the country. 

Both the other forums I participate in (Concours & FZ-09) have a strong "Purchase Price Paid" type thread which many folks find helpful.  I would think that this sort of thing might be helpful here as well.   

All relevant input/data appreciated.  Thanks

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2018, 03:06:36 PM »
I don’t see an issue with sharing payed price and discounts, not that it helps you in the US but I purchased a new 2018 bike on 02/06/2018.
I ordered my bike on a special event at my dealer where all accessories were with 50% off but the discount was actually applied against the bike value

2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »
 :005: :005: :005: :005:  :087: :087:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Dana Point, CA.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2018, 05:07:23 PM »
*Originally Posted by Speedy [+]

...............  Both the other forums I participate in (Concours & FZ-09) have a strong "Purchase Price Paid" type thread which many folks find helpful.  I would think that this sort of thing might be helpful here as well.   

Speedy - Over the last 10years I've owned BMW's, and have "never" recalled seeing in the forums Purchase Pride Paid. However, from time to time (on rare occasions) someone might ask about used pricing.

As for getting the best price on the XR or other BMW models, sometimes they have special offers, other than that, one should expect to "possibly" obtain a 10% +/ - discount off suggested retail price. However, for example, if a dealership only has "one" XR left, with none coming in for the next 6 months (and very few in the country at other dealerships), chances are they "will not" give a discount at all.

Also - just saying, being in sales & marketing I know what its like regarding pricing (everybody wants a "killer" deal). With that in mind, price is "strictly" based on the quality of the product, perceived value, supply and demand (for example, you dont see Rolls Royce or Ferrari running weekend specials)  Also, for what its worth - my average experience with BMW salesmen, is that they are "overall" extremely good and fair (of course there's always the exception to the rule).

mike k

Online Speedy

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2018, 06:22:28 PM »
Maybe it's time to start one here then....

Just because we can "afford" a fancy BMW Motorcycle doesn't mean that some of us don't want to pay as little as we can for it.  Like most here I suspect, in my 50 yrs I've bought dozens of cars and bikes (many of which were Bimmers - hence my 25 yrs in BMWCCA - this would be my first Beemer however).  Of all of those purchases, I can honestly say none of them was on a whim or without a fair amount of research (incl price research) - color me boring I guess.  Perhaps my definition of "afford" is different than most who ride Beemers.

My hope for this thread was to provide folks like me a frequently updated repository of recent transactions by which they can compare offers received from dealers in their area and then make an informed decision to move forward or keep shopping.  As everyone knows, new bikes/cars are simply a commodity so why not shop for the best price?  Then you can decide if buying local or from a dealer with excellent customer service, etc, etc is worth whatever additional cost that might go along with that decision. 

I'm new here and all so not trying to ruffle any feathers, but I just thought a thread like this might be helpful to some, but I get that it might not be helpful to all.  Please add your purchase data if you are so inclined....

Offline skapan

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000
  • Town: Toronto
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2018, 07:37:30 PM »
The price paid is definitely time, dealer and inventory dependent. To assume that you could get as good a deal as someone else a month or two ago (even at the same dealer) is just not rational. BMW changes incentives every month, and as pointed out here, the actual negotiated price depends on so many factors. If you want the "best" price, probably a low mileage used bike will beat all dealer's new prices.
  Probably a better way forward is to ask what offers people have seen in your area, used and new.