Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bolted on my Uniden R3  (Read 1122 times)

Offline tor

• XR Member
  • Norwegian Viking
  • Bike: 18 XR / 15 GSA
  • Town: Pee Dee of SC
Bolted on my Uniden R3
« on: July 29, 2018, 09:03:16 PM »
Finally got my Uniden R3 mounted on the XR. Output to bluetooth TX (bike powered) through ground loop isolator into Sena SMH10. Set up on a ram ball mount so I can swap it over onto the GSA if needed.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Bolted on my Uniden R3
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 06:37:24 AM »
Unfortunately they're illegal here in Aus....you can be fined just for having one, let alone using it.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Gairo

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: South Staffs
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 05:03:49 PM »
How have you fitted your RAM mount ? Interested to see if it’s the same principle I used to fit mine :028:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Offline tor

• XR Member
  • Norwegian Viking
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:37:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Gairo [+]
How have you fitted your RAM mount ? Interested to see if it’s the same principle I used to fit mine :028:

The GPS mount is moved as far to the left on the mounting bar as possible to make space for a Ram clamp with ball that fits around the GPS mounting bar. A 3" Ram arm is mounted on that ball. The radar detector is sitting on a plate w/ a Ram ball underneath, and fits on the other end of the 3" Ram arm.

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 12:01:03 AM »
Tor, How do you like the Uniden. What advantages do you have over the passport units.
I remember I used to use only a uniden for years, they were the best. Truck drivers used them. But they failed to stay up with the others in innovation.
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline tor

• XR Member
  • Norwegian Viking
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 01:09:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by aviator [+]
Tor, How do you like the Uniden. What advantages do you have over the passport units.
I remember I used to use only a uniden for years, they were the best. Truck drivers used them. But they failed to stay up with the others in innovation.

Never had a Passport, so I can't compare. I run the R3 in Hwy mode 95 % of the time, because it has extremely good filtering capabilities, K & KA in particular. It also has a lot of filtering capabilities  in the RLC (red light cam) ranges. Also has an extensive menu system.

What is the most impressive capability to me is it's sensitivity, where I can catch a KA radar at 1 - 1.5  miles out. It don't have to be a straight shot. Laser? It lights up as soon as it senses a laser, mostly line of sight.

The R3 has a built in GPS, whereas the R1 don't, so you've got the ability to "user mark" spots where K signals are punching through the filters (say on a commute), and so will mute all user marks you enter in.

It is not waterproof, but have placed it behind the MRA Vario so it's completely covered in both up-and down shield position.
I just cover it up with a quart bag if it rains.

The Uniden is powered by switched bike power. The audio feed goes through a ground loop isolator to the Bluetooth TX (both very small units). The bluetooth TX is also powered by switched bike power (12V to 5 V USB converter). This is why I have to use a ground loop isolator on the audio line. If I don't, I'll get a lot of high pitched noise going through the bluetooth connection.

The RD sits on a ram ball plate on a ram arm that has the other end ram-clamped to the Nav mounting bar. Shoving the Nav to the left as far as I could get it made enough space for the ram clamp on the right side, and have the detector be in the clear with the MRA in both positions.

So that's the setup, and it works great.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
Dont have too many radar traps in the UK fortunately, and cars coming the other way generally flash you to warn you so you can slow down. That said if there are traps they can zap you from a mile away.  :305:
PSH

dysfunctional