Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Binding feel in clutch lever  (Read 710 times)

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Binding feel in clutch lever
« on: July 31, 2018, 01:22:10 AM »
Hope I explain this right.

On occasions when squeezing the clutch while shifting gears I'll feel a slight bind type feel in the lever itself where the end of the cable (barrel thingy) sits inside the clutch lever.The cable is not frayed nor is it sawing against the housing going down towards the clutch. 

Been playing with the adjustment wheel that adjusts the lever's play and can't get rid of the problem. The bike shifts gears just fine, no issues there. It's just an intermiten feeling in the clutch lever itself that annoys the crap out of me.

Anyone experience anything remotely like this?

Thanks in advance.

Online smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Binding feel in clutch lever
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 01:53:48 AM »
It's normal, there's many threads/posts about it on here and other forums. It's actually the slipper clutch doing it's thing, happens mostly on the downchange....I had the same issue with mine until I came on here and found out I wasn't going crazy.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 02:39:13 AM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
It's normal, there's many threads/posts about it on here and other forums. It's actually the slipper clutch doing it's thing, happens mostly on the downchange....I had the same issue with mine until I came on here and found out I wasn't going crazy.

Smithy.

Thanks for the response, I was almost contemplating replacing the clutch cable! Just curious did you adjust extra slack in the lever or keep it per the specs. I want to set the adjustment wheel in one spot so I can stop adjusting the fooking thing now that I know nothing is wrong.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 02:46:15 AM by Ant »

Online smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 03:10:35 AM »
You will find the clutch lever adjusment changes as the engine warms up, if you set the correct freeplay of 1-3mm when cold, it will substantially increase as the engine warms up...and when she cools down it will be back to normal again. Just set when cold and forget...it'll do your head in chasing the adjustment all the time.
This phenomenon also seems to be restricted to these S1000 series engines....a hydraulically operated clutch would see this sorted IMHO.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:12:13 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2018, 03:29:06 AM »
You will find the clutch lever adjusment changes as the engine warms up, if you set the correct freeplay of 1-3mm when cold, it will substantially increase as the engine warms up...and when she cools down it will be back to normal again. Just set when cold and forget...it'll do your head in chasing the adjustment all the time.
This phenomenon also seems to be restricted to these S1000 series engines....a hydraulically operated clutch would see this sorted IMHO.

Smithy.
Thanks again much appreciated.

Online smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2018, 05:07:30 AM »
*Originally Posted by Ant [+]
Thanks again much appreciated.

:028:

Smithy.

Online JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2018, 09:06:23 AM »

Smithy.

Same with mine.