Author Topic: Clunking Noise Under Bike  (Read 4191 times)

Online lospsi

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR 2015
  • Town: Athens
Re: Clunking Noise Under Bike
Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 05:10:35 AM
I cheched the centerstand, although it can bounce it has rubber stops and the noise is different. Maybe the exhaust servo mechanism/cables do that, as you point out...

Offline Tungstone

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Aalborg
Reply #21 on: May 18, 2021, 03:39:20 PM
XR 1. generation 2018 @ 24.000 km:

I have had this clunking noise since day one and it comes from the chain hitting the top of the swing arm - period!.

I took it to the BMW garage and they confirmed that it was a problem, they tried adjusting the chain and changing the bearings in the swingarm but nothing worked.

The problem only appeared at low speed, at neutral gas and the suspension setting in road. - all three things will affect the chain vertical travel for different good reasons.

Several times I have adjusted the chain to perfection but that didn't seem to help.

Once I drove the bike on unpaved roads in das vaterland (Germany) I was so embarrassed by the sound of the bike (although they should have been the one), that I drove out to the more level - very slippery mudded side of the road, almost tipping me over trying returning to more safe ground  :005:   

What I did and it works so far:

I purchased the new  M Endurance chain, a new pair of quality sprockets, a new  top plastic chain rail and some 1mm rubber mat to glue under the plastic chain rail.

What I observed during installation was that the front sprocket was only tightened app. 5Nm  (should be 130Nm) and the chain was suffering from some stiff  chain links. - Note I lubricate the chain quite often and the clunking problem was present from when the bike was new.

Again I subsequently adjusted the chain to max tension (45mm on side stand as I recall?)

After install, I took the bike for a drive through every pot hole in the area and not once I could hear any clunks what so ever. Also a friend of mine was noticing a significant difference:  - "it was like night and day" he said when driving from the sidewalk down to the asphalt road.     

All that I can say is that I don't know if it is the chain, the rubber or the tightening of the the sprocket, but my guess is that it was the new chain that did the trick. But still I need to go some more miles before before before I feel 100% confident in the outcome. 

Offline smithy

• XR God
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Reply #22 on: May 18, 2021, 10:46:17 PM
*Originally Posted by Tungstone [+]
XR 1. generation 2018 @ 24.000 km:

I have had this clunking noise since day one and it comes from the chain hitting the top of the swing arm - period!.

I took it to the BMW garage and they confirmed that it was a problem, they tried adjusting the chain and changing the bearings in the swingarm but nothing worked.

The problem only appeared at low speed, at neutral gas and the suspension setting in road. - all three things will affect the chain vertical travel for different good reasons.

Several times I have adjusted the chain to perfection but that didn't seem to help.

Once I drove the bike on unpaved roads in das vaterland (Germany) I was so embarrassed by the sound of the bike (although they should have been the one), that I drove out to the more level - very slippery mudded side of the road, almost tipping me over trying returning to more safe ground  :005:   

What I did and it works so far:

I purchased the new  M Endurance chain, a new pair of quality sprockets, a new  top plastic chain rail and some 1mm rubber mat to glue under the plastic chain rail.

What I observed during installation was that the front sprocket was only tightened app. 5Nm  (should be 130Nm) and the chain was suffering from some stiff  chain links. - Note I lubricate the chain quite often and the clunking problem was present from when the bike was new.

Again I subsequently adjusted the chain to max tension (45mm on side stand as I recall?)

After install, I took the bike for a drive through every pot hole in the area and not once I could hear any clunks what so ever. Also a friend of mine was noticing a significant difference:  - "it was like night and day" he said when driving from the sidewalk down to the asphalt road.     

All that I can say is that I don't know if it is the chain, the rubber or the tightening of the the sprocket, but my guess is that it was the new chain that did the trick. But still I need to go some more miles before before before I feel 100% confident in the outcome.

Have had my 17 since new and never had this problem on mine...either with the new or old chain, new or old sprockets, the front sprocket is still the original, rear sprocket has ~30k km and is a 42T aluminium item. I have 40k km so far and not had an issue.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Shinyface

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR TE
  • Town: GALASHIELS
Reply #23 on: May 20, 2021, 01:28:58 PM
Just a simple question, do you have a front fender extender......I fitted one to my Gen 2 and thats just the result over ramps and rough road surface, so much so Ive removed it so there is no damage to the front mounting points......the noise it makes can be hard to believe from a simple addition................

Shinyface