Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Insurance  (Read 722 times)

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Wakefield
Insurance
« on: August 01, 2018, 12:10:05 PM »
I have been sorting  bike insurance and the usual section regarding security needed completing. My insurers list all locks, chains etc and every bike manufacturers immobiliser...except BMW. interesting though was this, I was considering  fitting a Tracker to the XR so listed a Datatool Tracker as one of the three security measures and it put up the policy quote by £85! So much for fitting effective security!

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
Re: Insurance
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2018, 12:13:19 PM »
That’s an interesting finding... food for thought
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2018, 12:22:13 PM »
I have seen similar policy loadings before ie. fitting crash bobbins will often increase insurance premiums as it is deemed that they will cause more frame damage and as such more likely to write-off the bike.

Offline Gairo

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: South Staffs
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2018, 12:55:34 PM »
I've now got a BikeTrac fitted to my XR, it was originally fitted to my VFR and I initially purchased it for 2 reasons, the first was for obvious peace of mind and the second was for a possible reduction in premium or excess, ha ! how wrong was I ? It didn't put the premium up as you stated in the first post but it made absolutely NO difference to the price either way, I suppose I should be grateful for the fact that it didn't put the premium up but after spending nearly £400 on the supply and fitting of a 'Thatcham Approved' tracker,I was expecting a least some recognition for having one fitted. Carole Nash don't even recognise BikeTrac, that's how little they care, the so called biggest and best bike insurer in the UK :008:
I removed the tracker from my VFR myself and then re-fitted it when I had my XR, I was told that it should have a certificate of approval for installation but that's a £75 outlay and ironically, I did a better job of hiding and wiring the tracker up than the 'approved installer' :028:
Begs the question though, what does Thatcham Approval actually mean nowadays ? 'Nothing' is the answer to that one or so it seems :187:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
Currently I have a TK102 clone (£30) hidden away on the XR.  Works ok, I can find where the bike is.

I was thinking of changing it to a Monimoto tracker, but I need to find somewhere to hide it

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 02:31:51 PM »
I should imagine that every insurance company has its own criteria on all forms of security but to me the fact  that a tracker will locate the bike relatively quickly which should deter thieves would help the industry in general. But any mods to the original machine seem to attract a hike in premiums. I appreciate that performance mods may increase premiums but I don't see how someone should be financially worse off simply by trying to improve security.