Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: PAIR/SLS Valve Removal/Blocking  (Read 1803 times)

Offline caister

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Tadley (Hants)
PAIR/SLS Valve Removal/Blocking
« on: August 02, 2018, 01:14:18 PM »
To cut a long story short the popping that you get in Dynamic or Dynamic Pro when you let off the throttle is driving me mad, mainly because its manufactured and you can tell as the pops are not random enough. However for me the bike is much better to ride in either of those modes.

After a bit of research apparently the PAIR valve is just there for emissions and to inject air into the exhaust system upon closed throttle to ignite any unburnt fuel before it leaves the exhaust. It can also be used to inject air and cause a pop (which is why the XR primarily does it in dynamic and dynamic pro).

A common mod on the RR seems to be either removing or blocking the PAIR valve which apparently removes the popping as well as helping with AFR readings if getting a remap etc

Has anyone removed/blocked it and does it indeed stop most of the popping?

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:51:58 PM by caister »

Offline wilbert

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Lancashire
Re: PAIR Valve Removal/Blocking
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 01:37:03 PM »
Nope but I will take all the pops and bangs off your hands. I love the pops on the overrun / closed throttle. Wish it did it more

Offline caister

• XR Member
  • Town: Tadley (Hants)
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2018, 01:43:43 PM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]
Nope but I will take all the pops and bangs off your hands. I love the pops on the overrun / closed throttle. Wish it did it more

Ha! I know I may have started a contentious thread, I'm only against them as they are so predictable (or at least they are on my bike) I get the same number each time and at the same intervals. It was fun at first but I'm growing tired of it.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
I plan on doing it as I have a RB module to install. I did do it on my S1000R(with a full Akrapovic), and the pops did indeed reduce, though it did not completely get rid of them. I am not sure if blocking the SLS will have a detrimental affect the CAT if you are running the stock exhaust.

There are definitely 2 camps here - those those who love the pops and those who hate them!!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 01:49:22 PM by SimonUK »

Online LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2018, 03:30:18 PM »
*Originally Posted by wilbert [+]

:0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: I want moor, and flames!!! Think you get the\at with a full akra system as you see on YouTube!

Offline Salem

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2018, 04:08:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by SimonUK [+]
I plan on doing it as I have a RB module to install.
just a word of warning, saw on another forum BMW has implemented BOST (Bmw O2 Sensor Test) earlier this year on the GSW, and is updating older GSW's during  service. It checks somehow if the expected O2 signal is there in the seconds after startup.  People running AFXied where left with a failure mode. Not unreasonable to assume BMW has implemented that on the XR too. If I understood it, fix is delay timer on the AFXied. If you have a friendly dealer, worth checking before installing it..

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 04:24:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by Salem [+]
just a word of warning, saw on another forum BMW has implemented BOST (Bmw O2 Sensor Test) earlier this year on the GSW, and is updating older GSW's during  service. It checks somehow if the expected O2 signal is there in the seconds after startup.  People running AFXied where left with a failure mode. Not unreasonable to assume BMW has implemented that on the XR too. If I understood it, fix is delay timer on the AFXied. If you have a friendly dealer, worth checking before installing it..

The OEM O2 sensors stay connected with the RB module. I had it on My S1000R with no issues, but thanks for the heads-up.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: PAIR/SLS Valve Removal/Blocking
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 06:38:48 PM »
I suggest one you guys explain to the masses what an AFXied is as it’s not the most techy of places.

As for 02’s mine are in the spares box you’ll never cure the low down fuelling with them plugged in.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 07:00:01 PM by Winger »

Offline Gairo

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: South Staffs
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 07:01:00 PM »
*Originally Posted by LAMBO281 [+]

:0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: :0461: I want moor, and flames!!! Think you get that with a full akra system as you see on YouTube!

You can get more flames with a decat, its only the cat that stops the flames, this is my mates XR with a Firetong exhaust system from Brazil, its a full stainless system and its beautiful...

The picture with the flames is genuine, it was nicked as a screenshot from a video we did of it after fitting, If I can find the original video then I'll posts that too :028:

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
Re: PAIR/SLS Valve Removal/Blocking
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 07:05:07 PM »
Tell him not to wear any polyester as otherwise he’ll catch on 🔥  :745:
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS