Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: New XR fan!  (Read 1575 times)

Offline TRAIL BOSS

• XR Member
  • Bike: 16 S1KXR
  • Town: Arlington
New XR fan!
« on: August 05, 2018, 07:26:03 AM »
Hey everyone!

My name's Kirk. I'm over in Washington State. I recently picked up a lightly used 2016 XR from a friend for a great deal. It came with the factory bags, Clearwater Darlas, BMW HP case guards, Nav 5, and all the other factory goodies that make it so amazing for sport touring. Fire engine red, which is of course near and dear to my heart.  :016:

I'm coming off several years of touring on a ZX-14R, so consider it high praise when I say this XR really hauls ass! I feel like it has no business being so comfortable while still having such incredible sporting capabilities. I'm really impressed. I'll be using it mostly for high-speed touring and daily ride duties, with the occasional track stint when I feel like something other than my 10R.

I've got a few mods planned out. Rad/OC guards, Stomp Grips, SW Motech Alu-Rack for my topcase, Puig Sport screen, T-Rex Frame sliders, swingarm spools, keyless fuel cap, and a Givi tank lock flange. I'll eventually get around to a slip-on, but I'm not too worried about the added noise at the moment. I have track bikes for that.

I'd love any advice you folks have for touring or performance mods. This is my first bike that isn't a Kawasaki in a long time, so I'm new to the BMW brand.

Thanks!

Photo whoring!

And my last rides:
'16 ZX-14R SE ABS

'13 ZX-14R

'08 ZX-10R

Offline serge1966

• XR Pro
  • It's all good...
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Melbourne
Re: New XR fan!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2018, 10:09:00 AM »
Hi Kirk...  :400: to the forum...
What specific info are you looking for regarding touring?

Love your photos although I look forward to seeing one with you getting your elbow on the tarmac whilst riding the XR...  :038:

Your planned mods are what pretty much everyone else is doing (give or take one or two!) but your machine looks great... despite it been in what some on the forum deem to be the "fast" red one... Personally, I think the Matt Ocean Blue is MUCHHHHHH faster looking!!!  :305: :305: :305:

Life always offers you a second chance... it's called "Tomorrow"...

Offline otrp

• XR Master
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2018, 10:54:56 AM »
Welcome Trail Boss.  You look more like 'track boss' in the photos. Like said above.  Looking forward to seeing your elbow on the tarmac with the XR.    :028:
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:58:13 AM by otrp »

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2018, 01:33:04 PM »
Welcome to the forum buddy and great photos
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2018, 04:07:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by TRAIL BOSS [+]
......My name's Kirk. I'm over in Washington State. I recently picked up a lightly used 2016 XR from a friend for a great deal. It came with the factory bags, Clearwater Darlas, BMW HP case guards, Nav 5, and all the other factory goodies that make it so amazing for sport touring. Fire engine red, which is of course near and dear to my heart.  :016:

Kirk - Really glad you're enjoying the XR - IMO it's one great "do-it-all" machine! I do have a question for you. I'm soon planning to move from S. California to Spokane, WA (about 300 +/ - miles east of you), is there any good riding (twisty/ curvy roads) in or near the Spokane area?

Sincerely, Mike
mike k

Offline zbdmark

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2018, 09:25:24 PM »
 :400: great photos!
Avoiding depression is easy - ride your bike as often as possible

Offline TRAIL BOSS

• XR Member
  • Bike: 16 S1KXR
  • Town: Arlington
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2018, 01:36:25 AM »
Hey guys,

Yeah, I’m a bit of a track whore. I get lots of street time, but I’m not usually stopping for photos when I do that. As for elbow-down in the XR... I really don’t know. I’m already pretty Barney Rubble-like in my build. I’m not sure I can reach the ground with all the added ground clearance.

Mike, regarding Spokane: in the immediate area it’s not great, but the surrounding mountains and their passes/forest roads are spectacular. Make a point of checking out Flowery Trail Road, and head southeast into Idaho for Whitebird Grade and Hell’s Canyon in Oregon.

Offline mike k

• XR Pro
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: Spokane, WA.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2018, 03:35:02 AM »
Hey guys,

Yeah, I’m a bit of a track whore. I get lots of street time, but I’m not usually stopping for photos when I do that. As for elbow-down in the XR... I really don’t know. I’m already pretty Barney Rubble-like in my build. I’m not sure I can reach the ground with all the added ground clearance.  Mike, regarding Spokane: in the immediate area it’s not great, but the surrounding mountains and their passes/forest roads are spectacular. Make a point of checking out Flowery Trail Road, and head southeast into Idaho for Whitebird Grade and Hell’s Canyon in Oregon.

Kirk, you might find that you may do an "elbow down" on the XR? (however, its upright riding position, makes it a bit more of a reach). As for the XR's handling (I can only comment about street riding/ canyons, I haven't been to the track in years), on good days, when I'm in the grove me/ my XR will easily stay neck-in-neck (no chicken strips) with "any" sportbike up to about 120MPH +/-, which for me, is where 95%of the action is. North of 120 MPH, the aerodynamics of a "sportbike" will pull away from the XR.

Also thanks for suggesting Flowery Trail Road (at 70 miles away from Spokane, that's not to bad, easy ride getting there on the XR), also Whitebird Grade and Hell’s Canyon in Oregon. I'll miss the great roads of N & S San Diego County, Malibu and Angeles Crest, all of which are approximately 70 miles one-way to get there from where I live, and often with "horrible" S. California traffic (which, I won't miss).
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:37:06 AM by mike k »
mike k

Offline Spiceboy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bury St Edmunds
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2018, 07:55:21 AM »
Hey everyone!

My name's Kirk. I'm over in Washington State. I recently picked up a lightly used 2016 XR from a friend for a great deal. It came with the factory bags, Clearwater Darlas, BMW HP case guards, Nav 5, and all the other factory goodies that make it so amazing for sport touring. Fire engine red, which is of course near and dear to my heart.  :016:

I'm coming off several years of touring on a ZX-14R, so consider it high praise when I say this XR really hauls ass! I feel like it has no business being so comfortable while still having such incredible sporting capabilities. I'm really impressed. I'll be using it mostly for high-speed touring and daily ride duties, with the occasional track stint when I feel like something other than my 10R.

I've got a few mods planned out. Rad/OC guards, Stomp Grips, SW Motech Alu-Rack for my topcase, Puig Sport screen, T-Rex Frame sliders, swingarm spools, keyless fuel cap, and a Givi tank lock flange. I'll eventually get around to a slip-on, but I'm not too worried about the added noise at the moment. I have track bikes for that.

I'd love any advice you folks have for touring or performance mods. This is my first bike that isn't a Kawasaki in a long time, so I'm new to the BMW brand.

Thanks!

Hi Kirk,

I too came from Kawasaki's (3xZX10's) and now on my second XR both SE's.

My favoured mods are:-
HP rear sets: expensive I know but it really allows for super slick gear changes and perfect comfort.
Rapid bike easy module: does nothing for performance but really smooths out the engine at lows speeds, we have the Euro 4 emission nonsense over here and makes the bike hunt and run a bit lumpy in traffic
Cobra Hypershots: I know you're not looking for a can but the sound is fantastic and the pop on overrun is the puppies privates.
The other mods are mainly cosmetic.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your new toy as much as me.

Here's a couple of pics:

Cheers,
Charlie Spiceboy.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Master
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 09:23:54 PM »
High Speed Tourer!  Yes!

Like the pictures.  Can't wait to see the additions you make to the XR, since I'm using it for more or less the same purpose as you.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark