Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Blade Motorrad in Birmingham to close  (Read 1641 times)

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
Blade Motorrad in Birmingham to close
« on: August 07, 2018, 08:39:08 PM »
As one dealer opens in Wales, another announces their closure on 31-8-2018

According to a post on the UKGSer Blade in Birmingham needed to find new premises but have not found anything that meets BMW's specification.

I wonder if the new mothership at Cotswold in Cheltenham has raised the bar to a point where few can or are willing to compete? Blade (formerly Clarks) seemed to have a good reputation but just like BVM in Stroud, do not fit the marketing department's image. Shame really, as I prefer an outlet that focuses on service before razzamatazz.

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
Re: Blade Motorrad in Birmingham to close
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2018, 10:27:56 PM »
Indeed they are closing as I received their newsletter today to that effect...
I wonder if the reason states is indeed the actual reason
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2018, 10:37:08 PM »
*Originally Posted by SAVAGEFOX [+]
Indeed they are closing as I received their newsletter today to that effect...
I wonder if the reason states is indeed the actual reason

Who knows?

Blade are a large regional group mostly based in Swindon & Gloucestershire. They have a big tie with Triumph so may focus on that brand. BMW may have set the bar too high making the investment needed in new premises too rich for Blade, especially as they have been upgrading a lot of their car dealerships so might be fully committed financially.

Blade have a good reputation for service - I have bought 2 cars and a bike from them since 2013 and had good experiences from all branches.

Offline Hobo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwick
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2018, 11:06:50 PM »
I got the email about closure as well - I bought my XR there 2 years ago and they have done all but 1 service. I would describe the service as "adequate" and had reason to give them feedback after a recent service ... but it is still a shame that I will have to travel another 30 minutes to either Cotswold@Oxford or Wollaston@Northampton. Both have nicer premises but very sterile.

Offline Gairo

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: South Staffs
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 01:31:32 AM »
*Originally Posted by Hobo [+]
I got the email about closure as well - I bought my XR there 2 years ago and they have done all but 1 service. I would describe the service as "adequate" and had reason to give them feedback after a recent service ... but it is still a shame that I will have to travel another 30 minutes to either Cotswold@Oxford or Wollaston@Northampton. Both have nicer premises but very sterile.

I bought from there 5 weeks ago and the salesman warned of a possible closure then, although it wasn’t definite conformation, it was enough that I knew to use an alternative dealer for warranty and servicing, confirmed today by email for me too. You also have Rybrook Motorrad at Wolverhampton (formerly Benham BMW), my mate Gary works there and they’re a good bunch, Andy knows his stuff too :028:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 08:47:58 AM »
Went in their yesterday to commiserate with the folks who work there a couple have worked for Clarke’s and then Blade for as long as i’ve Been going in there which is close on 18 years,reason for closing i’ve Heard at least 3 options but it’s a reasonable guess to say a.n. Other will open in future with a lot more smoke and mirrors no doubt which seems to be the vogue no matter what the subject.

Servicing has completely stopped,they have a couple of major warranty jobs and that’s it.

Online Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 04:51:41 PM »
Just found this out as I rang them about a new rear tyre. Disappointing as I always found them a good bunch. They looked after my bike for two weeks no problem once. Leaves me in a bit of a dealer dark spot. It’s either Cotswold or Wollaston.

The reason they gave me for the closure was as mentioned above. They had to move and couldn’t find suitable alternatives (that I assume have to meet BMW corporate requirements). No reason to doubt why they have to close.

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2018, 12:40:36 AM »
Sad to hear this. I too had an email, having bought my XR from them in April. I am working abroad and they may be shut by the time I get home. I live very local too, so wonder what will become of the place.
This is happening all too often across the Midlands!
I think I'll soon stop buying new bikes as the dealers just don't seem to last with the ever increasing demands of the manufacturers.
If that is indeed the real reason.
Every dealer franchise I have purchased from in the last 10 years has shut it's doors! (Not only bmw).
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 12:46:39 AM by Nelster »

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2018, 09:01:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by Nelster [+]
Every dealer franchise I have purchased from in the last 10 years has shut it's doors! (Not only bmw).

Ah...so it's your fault then..!! :016:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Gairo

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: South Staffs
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2018, 12:33:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Becksy [+]
Leaves me in a bit of a dealer dark spot. It’s either Cotswold or Wollaston.

Have you tried/considered Rybrook Motorrad at Wolverhampton Becksy ? Formerly Benham Motorrad
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

dysfunctional