Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated Grips  (Read 1544 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Heated Grips
« on: August 09, 2018, 03:18:52 PM »
The heated grips on my 2017 XR are not hot enough when it gets really cold < 5C in the UK and I am aware that this is a common problem resulting from design rather than a fault.

My question is - are the heated grips on the 2018 XR adequate or are they also too cold?  :305:
PSH

Offline zbdmark

• XR Member
  • Town: Warwickshire
Re: Heated Grips
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:11:08 AM »
Not had reason to try them yet as it's been so hot but when the weather turns will let you know. I have heated grips on every bike so will know what is good and what is bad 
Avoiding depression is easy - ride your bike as often as possible

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 03:32:41 PM »
I’ve read quite a few posts on the heated grips. On my 2017 bike they get too hot to hold on setting 2 even with winter gloves. Perhaps I’m a sensitive soul! :187:

Offline Taffcd

• XR Member
  • Welsh and Thirsty
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Manchester
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 09:25:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by JTL [+]
I’ve read quite a few posts on the heated grips. On my 2017 bike they get too hot to hold on setting 2 even with winter gloves. Perhaps I’m a sensitive soul! :187:

Same here on a 2017 bike. 
Welsh and Thirsty

Offline feeb

• XR Member
  • Town: Leslie, Fife
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 09:37:26 AM »
My grips on a 2016 bike are next to useless.
I have raised this with my dealer but..................................................

Online Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 11:13:30 AM »
2018 bike so I’ve only used them on a couple of inclement mornings, but they seem to be hot enough to do the job.

I have noticed riding in summer how much the hand guards protect from wind chill, normally I would wear my Argosaurus gloves all year, but on the XR I have had to switch to summer gloves, and even then find myself taking my hands off and putting them in the air flow to get some air through the finger vents (cruise control is great for this).  Maybe without the hand guards the factory grips aren’t hot enough to fully overcome the wind chill  :027:

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2018, 04:08:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Martin [+]
2018 bike so I’ve only used them on a couple of inclement mornings, but they seem to be hot enough to do the job.

I have noticed riding in summer how much the hand guards protect from wind chill, normally I would wear my Argosaurus gloves all year, but on the XR I have had to switch to summer gloves, and even then find myself taking my hands off and putting them in the air flow to get some air through the finger vents (cruise control is great for this).  Maybe without the hand guards the factory grips aren’t hot enough to fully overcome the wind chill  :027:

Thanks for the information but you really need to test the adequacy of the heated grips in real winter conditions - a cold UK morning with a temperature of 3C. My 2017 grips are barely noticeable in those conditions, even with the hand guards  :305: :305:
PSH

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2018, 04:09:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by feeb [+]
My grips on a 2016 bike are next to useless.
I have raised this with my dealer but..................................................

You won't get anywhere with that unfortunately - all older XR's are like that - as long as they actually work thats what the dealer will tell you. Crap isn't it.   :305:
PSH

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2018, 04:13:34 PM »
*Originally Posted by Taffcd [+]

Same here on a 2017 bike.

... but have you tested them in near freezing winter conditions ?  :305:
PSH

Online Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2018, 05:43:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Thanks for the information but you really need to test the adequacy of the heated grips in real winter conditions - a cold UK morning with a temperature of 3C. My 2017 grips are barely noticeable in those conditions, even with the hand guards  :305: :305:

My bikes usually get tucked away for winter when the gritters come out, so hopefully they’ll be adiquate for my needs.