Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi there  (Read 551 times)

Offline Bluesman

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Kaw GPZ 550
Hi there
« on: August 10, 2018, 02:56:37 PM »
A drooler here i’m afraid.

I do have a damaged 550 in the garage which has been there untouched for probably 15+yrs and is probably decayed beyond repair now although i’ve always maintained an interest in bikes from a distance even though I’ve never been anything more myself than a fairweather riding, bike novice.

Occasionally i’ll buy a bike mag and see a bike that has me salivating and tbh that’s what happened with the XR three or so years ago. I can’t read, see, hear, watch enough of it.
From what I’ve seen and read it’d be ideal for riding loaded from the U.K. to Southern Europe which is something I have often dreamed of doing but will probably never have the means or bottle to do. I’ve never even swung my leg over one either but i’m only 5’6 & maybe in reality the bike would be a little tall for me.

I’ll be Interested to read owners experiences of the XR just in case my numbers come up.

Cheers fellas.

Offline ch2004

• XR Member
  • Bike: Red SE
  • Town: Highland
Re: Hi there
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2018, 09:24:20 PM »
Welcome bluesman. There is a factory lowering option, I don't know how much lower it is, others may be able to help. It really is a good tool for touring to southern europe as well as everything else. Never say never, the opportunity of ownership might present itself, get the gpz sold and theres the deposit!

Online otrp

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 12:32:45 AM »
Hello Bluesman, welcome to the forum. Only one way to find out. Swing your leg over one and take it for a ride. What's your inseam? Maybe 30 ish? I'm sure there are 30 inch inseams riding XR 'S. Lowering kits can drop the bike several inches. Go try one.  :002:

Offline Bluesman

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 02:16:27 AM »
Thanks fellas, currently there’s not much chance but a man is allowed to dream isn’t he?

For now i’ll keep on enjoying reading the reviews & comments & watching the various YouTube vids.

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 11:03:35 AM »
Hey Bluesman, I’m 5’7 and I have a factory lowered XR with a standard height seat, I don’t flat foot but I don’t tipy toe either(originally had a lowered seat but was too uncomfortable) and I still ride and commute very comfortably.
Take one for a test ride once, scratch that itch.... and you will have you answer.... it is an amazing machine and damn well worth it...

We look forward to seeing you introduce your new bike
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:05:44 AM by SAVAGEFOX »
2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Bluesman

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 12:24:41 PM »
I’ll bear that in mind as i’m checking my lottery ticket, thank you.

dysfunctional