Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike Security  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
Bike Security
« on: August 11, 2018, 07:22:25 PM »
When I changed my last bike for my current one, the original disc lock I used didn't fit, so I'm looking for a new one. Any recommendations? What do you use?
I'm leaning towards an Abus disc lock as I've had them before, but would be interested to know what other members use.
This thread is mainly about disc locks and how good they are away from home, but if anyone wants to add in what they use for securing at home that may be useful to everyone, please feel free to comment.

Mally

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
Re: Bike Security
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 08:15:50 PM »
I’ve been using an Oxford Boss for years, fits nicely under the seat if I want to take it with me and can use it to secure my leathers with a security rope too  :028:

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR SPORT SE
  • Town: Croydon
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2018, 08:25:43 PM »
My main disk lock that I would change for anything, that I had on my single R  is a Roadlok

https://www.roadlokinternational.com/products/xra-307

My secondary one is an abus 8077 granite alarmed doc lock

https://www.abus.com/uk/Mobile-Security/Motorbike-Scooter/Brake-disc-locks/GRANIT-Detecto-XPlus-8077

My home chain is an almax series IV

No other chain even comes close and I have a few other things...

2018 BMW S1000XR SPORT SE
Previous bikes:
2016 BMW S1000R SPORT ABS
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline Dobby

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr
  • Town: Lancashire
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 09:32:11 PM »
Oxford boss ones are good as you can get 2 and put one on the front disc and one through the rear sprocket with modern battery grinding tools thieves will cut through the disc itself so a second on the rear sprocket makes it harder for them and more time consuming which they don’t like I have a mate who had is s1000r stolen in London fitted with an expensive disc lock and they just cut the disc with a grinder and off they went with the bike some member of the public filmed it on there phone didn’t take them long having a second on the sprocket may have put them off 👍
Enjoy yourself and get the bike out 👍

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 09:47:54 PM »
That’s why I recommend the roadlok one, the way it’s mounted on the calliper makes it harder  :020:
Previous bikes:
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2018, 09:54:19 PM »
the Xena alarmed disk lock fits - deters people poking about the bike as it is loud
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/140224

I use this Mammoth lock on my other bike - supposedly a tough job according to Thatcham testing.
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/74294
I like this one as it is easy to carry so you are more likely to actually take it on a trip!

Neither will protect the bike from a determined attack but will deter an opportunist and stop cheeky sods moving your bike out of the designated bay

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2018, 08:02:43 AM »
Thanks for the responses so far, guys, it's much appreciated and gives me a couple of extra options to think about.
I also have the BMW alarm already fitted, although I've never used it so far. Are they useful? Do they actually deter or are they more trouble than they're worth? My concern is it going off for no apparent reason and draining the battery. What experiences do others have of the alarm?
Thanks guys

Mally

Offline SAVAGEFOX

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »
I have one as well and the BMW fitted Trakking gps tracker.
With me it never went off for nothing, I find it very useful and I like it.
But I think that the tracker is well worth the money
Previous bikes:
2015 YAMAHA MT-07 ABS

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2018, 09:52:33 AM »
I use 3 disc locks attached to each disc, 2 are alarmed and also the steering lock. Have the BMW alarm but dont use it anymore :305:
PSH

Offline Kevin1953

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Haverfordwest
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2018, 10:09:27 AM »
I had the BMW alarm fitted but do find it annoyingly tedious to arm and disarm. I started off by leaving it armed but when you stop for fuel and then remove the key to open the petrol cap it arms itself so the alarm gets triggered while I am filling! As a result of that I now don't use it unless I am staying away from hjome when I arm it overnight.

dysfunctional