Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nav 5, Basecamp andvmy effort at being helpful ....  (Read 7000 times)

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Nav 5, Basecamp andvmy effort at being helpful ....
« on: September 03, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »
Many new Nav 5 owners or indeed old dinosaurs find basecamp and the Nav unit frustrating

It is a good bit of kit that works well so here is an idiot guide i wrote for a friend who was struggling and i thought in an effort to be helpful some here may find it useful .....
This is how I plot a route in Basecamp

The first thing to do obviously is to open Basecamp and ensure you have the latest maps on your computer and your device. I recommend downloading separately to computer first and then device.

The next thing, and this is important, is to set your routing and transfer options.

On windows based system

Click edit and then options in the box that opens and click activity profile. Select motorcycle from the drop down.
Just beneath that are 2 tabs General and routing. Click routing

I set mine to faster time
You can also select your avoidance preferences here and I suggest you do. I tick the boxes Unpaved roads, Cable cars and climbing paths and this works for me.

Now click the Device transfer Icon

Tick the top 2 boxes ( you can tick the 3rd one as well if you want) Doing this strips out all the shaping points and way points so you don't get bothered to death listening to the bloody thing on your ride but sends a spare route with them on just in case you need to re calculate at any time whilst out on your travels. (this solves one of Jims biggest problems)

On a Mac it is pretty much the same but done through basecamp preferences.

Now replicate the routing settings on your Nav 5 ( this is vital)

Ok Now we can get on with route planning !

You will see a Left hand pane on your screen at the top of which is Library and my collection.

Right click on my collection and select new list and then give it a name ( I have several one of which is called favourites and in there I keep all my oft used way points, you will see the benefit of this later) You can call this test route for now as it can be deleted at any time in the future.

Now find your house on the map ( the search function is sh#t so just do it by zooming and scrolling once you have located your abode right click on it and a box appears and you want to click new way point and a blue flag will appear. double click that and another box opens giving you the ability to name the way point and give it a symbol (I call it home and use the house picture)

You will see that this way point now appears in the bottom left panel (this panel has all the points and information pertaining to the list you have open in the top left hand pane)

For ease I now ask you to find somewhere you know and create a way point as before

Done that Good !

Next then is to click the new route icon (located on the top menu bar)and a box opens. Drag your start point (home) from the bottom left hand pane to the box at drag your start point here and then do it again for your end point ( Skipton Chef) to the end point bit.

Basecamp will now create a route for you based upon the settings you ascribed earlier in this case fastest ( it makes no difference as we are going to change the route )
The route the software creates will not be to your liking or desires FEAR NOT

You will see in the bottom left hand pane the route that has been created (Home to Skipton Chef ) click on it and the route will be highlighted pink on the map. Now starting near to home (About 1 inch ) press and hold the alt key and at the same time left click and drag the pink route to where you want it ( if it goes wrong click edit and undo ) continue to do this to your route working outwards to your destination until you have shaped it onto the roads you want ! Simples

To create a circular route from home to home do the same but add a way point somewhere along where you want to go for example a tea and scone shop at the half way point.
Double click your route and a box opens that you can drag that scone stop way point to the box and position it where you need it to be !
Simples

To transfer it to the Nav5 plug the thing into computer highlight the route (bottom left pane) and click the transfer to device option

When you unplug from PC and turn on Nav it should say new routes do you want to import Obviously you do so click yes
then they should be in your app on the device for use
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
Re: Nav 5, Basecamp andvmy effort at being helpful ....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 08:18:32 AM »
Hate basecamp FAR to complicated for what we ask of the humble SATNAV.  I have a navigator its called the Wife she uses Google Maps with all the eye candy content that uses and we only use basecamp to transfer and reduce the points but as of a software update about 8 months ago it does it automatically.  With Google you can have a sneaky look round while planning and it is not complicated to save the KMZ's onto your google account then export into a trip.  Also the Satellite view can help enormously with planning as it will show pull off points and laybys which do not show in basecamp. 

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline bagwafu

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Central
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2015, 08:50:13 AM »
I tried exporting KMZs from Google Maps (it worked) but my Basecamp didn't recognise it.  Most disappointed !
S1000XR SE Sport

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 12:54:25 PM »
What version of basecamp are you running and on what machine I have just tried it literally now and it works fine.  I am on a pc with version 4.5.1

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 01:00:34 PM »
OK getting somewhere bet you are on a mac just tried it on mine and it won't open it is the same file I just opened on the PC so it is a problem with the import filter on the Mac version.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 01:10:49 PM »
Had a bit of a google about and it seems there is a problem with Mac version lots of answers but the good one is to convert the kmz file to gpx and it will work there are a few free converters for that on the web.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me that Garmin make mapping product specifically designed to work with Garmin Nav units and people spend ages buggering about trying to gat 3rd party mapping to work and then moan when it wont !

Basecamp works so why not use it

Offline fasttrak

• XR Pro
  • Chasing sunsets at 90 MPH.
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Morgan Hill
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2015, 03:03:29 PM »
Basecamp is not the simplest software to get your head wrapped around, once you get the feel for it your riding can be transformed and the sites you travel past might get viewed more regularly.

I joined a rally here in US earlier this year, it absolutely required the use of high level organizing to lay out points of interest, the things that got you points in the rally. I went from knowing what the software was to being able to create custom routes, building my own POI (points of interest) and quite a few other features that once learned, has made all my multi-day trips better. I would highly suggest to those doing multi-day rides to invest a couple weeknights, ok quite a few weeknights, into learning some of the basics of this software, it will make the places you ride past more interesting when you invest the time to build more organized routes.

I always used paper maps, had vague ideas of where I wanted to travel to and never really built routes with specific sites to see. Once home and going over where I had been on the GPS I found I rode past places I wish I had taken the time to stop by and check out. The rally I did mostly due to the fact it would force me to learn a software package that I always found daunting. I would say you learn this software package in bits and pieces, it can not be ingested in large doses as it can be frustrating at best, massively headache inducing at worse  :008: But when you get the hang of it, setup some awesome routes, the routes actually work and get you to places efficiently, you will find why so many people use this software package.

I would highly suggest to those looking to be more organized on their road trips to invest the time and learn this software package, the time investment up front will pay dividends in the end. Once you start getting comfortable many of the functions of the software start making more sense, I see this and I still consider myself an intermediate operator of Basecamp, still learning.

Many of the long distance riders in the US use this software package to plan routes with many days and tens of thousands of miles, one of them put together a very good tutorial that I used to get my feet wet with Basecamp. The link below was the first time I put serious effort into learning this software package as it was almost mandatory to complete the rally I had enrolled in. I sort of forced myself as I knew what the rally required and also knew I was hating the idea of having to put that much effort into learning this software package but also knew I had been taking road trips that were not as organized as they could be. It took about a month to get an understanding of the software and build routes that actually worked well and was comfortable building and editing while on the road, it also did transform my longer rides and how I approach setting up road trips, all for the better. I am still learning, still getting better at using this software that I have cut down the time it takes to build a working route it is not too frustrating and I rarely run into a problem that requires much more than two shots of good bourbon to get past  :008:

The best tutorial I have seen for Basecamp-
http://www.ldriders.com/basecamp-faq.html

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2015, 03:21:00 PM »
Fasttrak you are a gentleman and a scholar this condenses about 20 to 30 web pages into one source going to have a look at getting the Wife to move to Basecamp as she takes LOTS of photos during a ride and it would be good for her.  Also it is seamless with the NAV unit.  Will suggest this week as a Scotland weekender maybe on the cards I might not live to tell the tale she can be quite sticky about change.  But I agree it is far too complicated for the point to point tours that is are main reason for the device.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 03:45:32 PM »
*Originally Posted by fgdriver [+]
Fasttrak you are a gentleman and a scholar this condenses about 20 to 30 web pages into one source going to have a look at getting the Wife to move to Basecamp as she takes LOTS of photos during a ride and it would be good for her.  Also it is seamless with the NAV unit.  Will suggest this week as a Scotland weekender maybe on the cards I might not live to tell the tale she can be quite sticky about change.  But I agree it is far too complicated for the point to point tours that is are main reason for the device.

S.

Seriously if you follow the guide i did as the first post on this thread you will get the hang of it quickly and it really does work well once you have

dysfunctional