Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Power distribution box  (Read 1002 times)

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
Power distribution box
« on: August 20, 2018, 03:17:48 PM »
So as the title says, what are you all using. The PDM 60 was the bomb, but then came the Canbus compatible boxes with extra leads for lights and horns which can be controlled by the wonderwheel.
Or the basic blade fuses.
I want to hook up my electrified tank bag and maybe a set of driving lights up front.
I have a CanSwitch that I have not deployed, bought for the GSA and need a new harness for the XR.
Lets see what all here are using.
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline Gbjbany

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 s1000xr
  • Town: Sacramento, ca
Re: Power distribution box
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2018, 11:22:50 PM »
Not really a power Distribution Box - but i use a Canopener from Clearwater Lights that allows me to control my front lights (connected to the relay)  and extra rearlights
You can buy them seperately - but you have to speak to them they are not on the website - $150 dollars i was quoted plus shipping

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 11:57:47 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gbjbany [+]
Not really a power Distribution Box - but i use a Canopener from Clearwater Lights that allows me to control my front lights (connected to the relay)  and extra rearlights
You can buy them seperately - but you have to speak to them they are not on the website - $150 dollars i was quoted plus shipping
Thanks for the reply. But there are better options for that kind of money. Not only do they control the spot lights, rear additional brake lights, these also offer additional circuits for say tank bag, horn, garage door opener.....
I forgot, the Nutrino black box is another one. So far the HexEZ can does not do XR, am I right?
I am curious what XR users have used.
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 02:36:04 AM »
Here's what I've got in:

FuzeBlock

Not as elegant as the PDM or whiz-bang as the CanOpener, but rugged, simple, and easy to put in.  I've had three of these in my lifetime.  I think they're brilliant.
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark

Offline jskene

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Baltimore, MD
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 01:31:16 PM »
A $5 fused relay connected to the battery and controlled by a switched power source will give you 15 amps of current for pretty much anything you need. It will certainly power the items you mentioned in the first post.

Offline Low-Brau

• XR Pro
  • Teutonic RocketNaut
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Saint Paul
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2018, 01:12:25 PM »
I was wondering if someone here has any strong opinions on the Can Opener?  :027:

I see scores of these being offered up slightly used, which is a great opportunity to get one, but makes me wonder why so many people are getting rid of them?  Are they a pain in the rear, or are people just parting out crashed BMWs?  :084:
-Erik

"...but the XR is a sports bike on stilts!"
  -- zbdmark