Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Clutch lever slop  (Read 2047 times)

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
Clutch lever slop
« on: September 04, 2015, 02:39:17 AM »
Anyone out there having issues with the clutch lever adjustment?
I've noticed that when I start out on the bike with the clutch lever in proper adjustment it takes only a short while for the adjustment to become very sloppy requiring readjustment almost continuously especially over long periods of riding.
After parking the bike for the night and getting back on it the following day it's tightened itself back up to the point where it needs to be loosened to be ridden properly.
I've ridden bikes for many years that have had the screw type adjustment on cable clutches and have never encountered a clutch cable that has required this amount of attention to keep the adjustment space at a minimum without it being too tight or too loose.
Spoke to the dealer about this problem but he brushed it off as "normal".  In my experience it's not like any "normal" that I've seen on any other bike's clutch.
Anyone else out there experiencing this?
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline clarryr

• Ex Member
  • XR Member
Re: Clutch lever slop
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2015, 06:40:21 PM »
My bike does that and I consider it normal.  Maybe more stretch to this clutch cable than other bikes but not terribly so.  Mine is adjusted to about 1/8" gap cold and warms to about a 1/4" to maybe 3/8" gap.  No issues with not fully disengaging the clutch even at it's warmest.  To me that's the major difference between a hydraulic and a cable clutch - the cable clutch moves with bike temperature.
Larry

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
Re: Clutch lever slop
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 01:45:10 AM »
Yep, I'm familiar with the normal stretch- give and take- of cable type clutches.  This however, seems a bit excessive.  Like you, I start out with perhaps a 1/8th inch of play but it quickly opens to 3/8 and more in very little time.......maybe ten to fifteen minutes of riding time.  Haven't ever ridden a bike that exhibited such profound clutch lever play changes in such a short period of time.  And this isn't just a matter of a new clutch cable needing time to stretch out to maximum length. 
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.