Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Spark plug renew  (Read 1311 times)

Offline cblackride

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr
  • Town: San Luis Obispo
Spark plug renew
« on: August 27, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
Has anyone replaced the spark plugs themselves? I can get to the two center plugs by removing the air cleaner. On the two outboard plugs, I can touch the coils (boots) and disconnect them but I cannot get a good enough grip on them to remove them. I am not sure I will be able to get a socket and wrench on them if I do get the boots removed!

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
Re: Spark plug renew
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 11:09:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum!

Spark plug replacement procedure in the Haynes manual shows the fuel tank and the entire air box assembly removed. It also notes that the coils can be difficult to remove and there is a BMW special tool (Part No. 123621) for removing them.

I've changed a heap of bike spark plugs over the years but not on XR yet. Sometimes I was able to get around disassembling half the bike to access them and get creative with the socket,adaptors, extensions and uni joints... plus a good magnetic pickup tool.

Good luck with it!
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline cblackride

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 01:06:45 AM »
Thanks. I do not think removing the tank will be necessary. But, that would give me more room to get my hands on the coils. I am going to order the tool. I am concerned with being able to get a socket in and out of the spark plug hole. it is deep and the frame is really close to the hole!

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2018, 07:05:13 AM »
Will be interested in how you get on with this as I will have to do this soon.

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 07:29:26 AM »
If there is enough room to get the coil out, then there is enough room to get a plug socket in. Like I said, you may need to get creative with your tools.

You may need to drop the socket into the plug hole first, then connect the extension, then attach your ratchet.
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 08:16:24 AM »
I even need a custom tool to pull the plug cap on my 1100s and that is old style coil/lead/HT cap so not surprised you need such on the X/R had mine down to the bare bones when fitting a PC it’s the body work that’s the ball ache not helped by the crap design by the cheapo Christmas cracker quality.

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2018, 01:02:17 PM »
So looking at the net unless you buy an original tool from a BM dealer the only other option is Marc Parnes yes the same as who comes on here re the Dymag posts.

Offline bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2018, 01:31:42 PM »

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2018, 02:21:27 PM »
I’d say yes, looking at the clues about using it they say pull steadily or maybe spray some lube around before hand don’t go the brute force route it’ll damage the coil.

Offline cblackride

• XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 04:52:50 PM »
The coil has a rubber boot which seals around the hole the spark plug sits in. It is possible to pull this back a bit, but there is no way to get any spray lube onto the spark plug with any precision at all. Way too far down in the head to reach. After some extensive searching on the web, I came across a picture of a coil removal tool in black plastic. I have one of these somewhere. It might be in one of my tool rolls. I never knew exactly what it was. Hope I didn't discard it! Also, I am not worried about getting the socket onto the spark plug or listening the plug. I am concerned I won't be able to get it out! Or, get the socket off after the new plug is installed! Going to make another attempt in the next couple of days. I will post results.

dysfunctional