Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Honest Opinions  (Read 4545 times)

Offline Roadsprocket

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Triumph
  • Town: Essex
Honest Opinions
« on: August 30, 2018, 08:26:43 AM »
So, looking at buying an XR 15-17’.. it’ll be the newest bike I’d of owned and to the extent of being the first out of the 9 with a fuel gauge which I’m actually very excited about. I’ve done my time owning sports/sports tourers/ supermoto’s/ naked bikes and wanted to get onboard something more mile, comfort and adventure friendly and I’m put off by the heavy boxer style engine of the GS.

I’ve seen a few reviews on YouTube, but the person doing the talking has only had it for an hour’s test ride and they don’t seem to buy one after singing it’s praise.

What are your honest views? Anything negative? What miles are you getting out of the tank? Any regrets? What is the parts market like? Anything to keep an eye on when buying? Any common faults or recalls?

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
Re: Honest Opinions
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:10:03 AM »
Go ride one and you’ll know  :001:

Aftermarket parts are plentiful, albeit a bit more expensive than parts for other bikes I’ve owned, but that said, I’ve not wanted to change much on this one.

Range wise, I get 125 - 150 out of a tank depending on how I ride, but I only ride it for fun, so I reckon it would do more if I was touring or rode it more conservatively.

Probably the only downsides are the standard seat height is quite high, so you may need the lower seat / suspension options if your not that tall (I’m 6’1” and it’s fine for me) and the BMW servicing costs if you plan on keeping it for a long time and piling on the miles.

I’ve heard it said before, but this really does tick every box for a street bike, sports bike fast with great handling and all day comfort.... what more do you need  :305: :305:

Offline joe19

• XR Member
  • Town: Oxford
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 10:34:54 AM »
Make sure the clock works! Quite a few in 2018 came with faulty clocks.

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Wakefield
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 11:16:03 AM »
Over the years I have had Blackbirds, Pans, KTM, Adv, Gs's and numerous others. The best? it all depends on what you are looking for. For example, the fastest, Blackbird, smoothest high speed tourer, the Pan, the biggest grin factor, KTM and all rounder the GS. However, the XR, in my opinion, is very close to matching all of these. It is undoubtedly quick, smooth and comfortable for me. I have come off the Gs to theXR and find the lower weight to be a real advantage and whilst the Pro-shift has taken a little getting used to it really is a bonus.
Downsides, not the most economical as a previous post has suggested but are you going to do multiple tours of Europe?, Screen is Ok but could be better but the main issue for me having had an hydraulic clutch for many years, is the weight of the clutch especially in towns. I know the Pro-shift reduces the use of the clutch but at some point you have to stop!. Mine is also quite 'notchy' at times. Go ride an XR and I think that you will every impressed.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2018, 11:47:58 AM »
In terms of all round ability, the XR is the best bike I’ve owned in this class (Versys 1000, Caponord 1200).
It can be a relaxed tourer - mine is happy at 30mph in 6th gear and pulls cleanly like a twist and go.
or a sports bike on the twisties.

Agree about the clutch pull being a bit heavy, I don’t notice it that much now.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2018, 12:59:48 PM »
*Originally Posted by Roadsprocket [+]
So, looking at buying an XR 15-17’.. it’ll be the newest bike I’d of owned and to the extent of being the first out of the 9 with a fuel gauge which I’m actually very excited about. I’ve done my time owning sports/sports tourers/ supermoto’s/ naked bikes and wanted to get onboard something more mile, comfort and adventure friendly and I’m put off by the heavy boxer style engine of the GS.

I’ve seen a few reviews on YouTube, but the person doing the talking has only had it for an hour’s test ride and they don’t seem to buy one after singing it’s praise.

What are your honest views? Anything negative? What miles are you getting out of the tank? Any regrets? What is the parts market like? Anything to keep an eye on when buying? Any common faults or recalls?

I’m in a different position to a lot on here i’ve Had my X/R two and a half years but I also have other bikes in the garage so I don’t suffer the rose  tinted glasses that some folks have.

All boards like this have a steady turn over of people joining and leaving this a lot more than most,their are a lot of folk who fancy themselves as racers and when confronted with the X/R bail and very often go back to a GS.

Bad news!! Some vibrate more than others and you will never get away from the fact the motor is buzzy because it likes to rev its tits off even though it doesn’t need too.

If your coming from a bike with a throttle cable to the X/R which is flybywire then that can also take some adjusting too.

But blimey is it an easy bike to ride it requires very little input to ride it at a pace and sort the right seat height out and it’s all day comfortable.

If you buying secondhand i’d Do loads of home work,find a bike with Akrapovic headers and the aftermarket BM seat and you’ll be quids in.

When you say ‘Parts’ aftermarket or secondhand? Although in fairness same answer to both their are loads.

Fuel wise on a trip i’m Starting to look for fuel around 130 with maybe 30/40 left.

In the real world of 30/120 it’s a fierce sum bike,over that my old k1200 has the legs on it by some margin but how often will that happen.

Early ones had a few problems with fuel pumps and connectors but jeez you could count those on one hand and you will a see a few have problems with cam chain tensioner but also few and far between.

I’d also look at the TS Triumph Tiger(16/18 model)less HP and no QS  :005: but still a great alrounder i’ve Had my much modded 955 18 years and can still get the job done with a lot more engine character if your into that kind of thing.

How long will I have my X/R?? 10 years at least  :002:

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »
I can do 200 on a tank.
But then I’m a slow old git.......

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 01:48:52 PM »
In some ways I am similar to Winger, I have a few other bikes as well.

I find the XR does the job I bought it for very well, that job is for touring and being practical when I actually want to go somewhere rather than just going out for a blast.

Edit to add

I typed a load of stuff and lost it, can't be bothered now :-)

« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 01:54:26 PM by bazzer »

Offline joe19

• XR Member
  • Town: Oxford
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2018, 01:52:41 PM »
*Originally Posted by JTL [+]
I can do 200 on a tank.
But then I’m a slow old git.......

200 on a tank ... miles!? Or Kilometers  :020:

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2018, 02:02:54 PM »
*Originally Posted by joe19 [+]
200 on a tank ... miles!? Or Kilometers  :020:

Although I have never pushed it to the 200 Mile range whilst touring, ( not motorway ). I am convinced that I could squeeze that from the bike. But do remember that is not hooning about, but steady riding, with a bit of site seeing and photo stops. Last trip to Germany with lots of Motorway work 80 to 90 mph cruising fill ups at 170miles achieved. One up and panniers.

Forgot the main bit, my honest opinion. Probably the best bike I have ever owned. Not perfect but then I do not think that bike exists.
But if you want a bike that Tours, Is good for a fast Track day, Slow cruise sightseeing, Fast Hooning on a Sunday. Then this bike fits them all. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2018, 02:08:20 PM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional