Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Instrument Cluster Vibration  (Read 703 times)

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S 1000 XR
  • Town: Cape Paterson
Instrument Cluster Vibration
« on: September 03, 2018, 01:16:44 AM »
Hi been getting vibrations in the instrument cluster for a while now but seems to be getting worse recently. Only really noticeable at low revs in 1st tootling along, happens hot or cold smooths out once revs rise and hard to notice on the highway? I have 28000 klms on the clock 2015 model. When you hold the instrument cluster while making the noise it goes away.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Instrument Cluster Vibration
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2018, 01:30:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by OzbimmerXR [+]
Hi been getting vibrations in the instrument cluster for a while now but seems to be getting worse recently. Only really noticeable at low revs in 1st tootling along, happens hot or cold smooths out once revs rise and hard to notice on the highway? I have 28000 klms on the clock 2015 model. When you hold the instrument cluster while making the noise it goes away.

Vibration...or rattle..?? Has something come loose inside the dash unit I wonder??

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2018, 01:51:15 AM »
Just reading some other posts and people mention cluster should be firmly mounted, mine is quite loose now pops off the rubber mounts easily, if you hold the cluster while buzzing or vibrating, (not a rattle really) it stops so definitely the cluster.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2018, 07:17:10 PM »
The cluster is mounted very loosely for some reason - thats normal and is designed to reduce vibration. Dont have a vibration issue with my bike  :305:
PSH

Offline OzbimmerXR

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 07:12:28 AM »
I have an update on the cluster vibration.  I was able to take some of the slack out of the rubber mounts that had developed since new and remounted the cluster and tested.  I have just completed a ride over 600 klms with some rough B grade roads thrown in the mix and no more vibrations.  I will probably investigate some new mounts from BMW if the vibes return again.

I made the repair by removing the rubber mounts from the plastic mounting holes wrapping Teflon plumbers tape around the outside of the grommets and re inserted them in the holes, this reduces the hole size for the cluster mounts to go in making a firmer fit.

By the way there is a c clip on one of the mounts (I guess security reasons) that can only be taken off by removing the whole windscreen mounting frame from the bike, bit long winded but easy.