Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Best commuter tyres  (Read 1804 times)

Offline gringogordo

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bath
Best commuter tyres
« on: September 04, 2018, 08:22:11 PM »
Any opinion about the best hard wearing tyre ?  I'm going to be commuting through the winter and my main aim is to get good mileage for the next few months although obviously the other obvious factors are important too! 

Mainly thinking about the

Bridgestone T30 R Evo
Metzler Roadtec 01
Pirelli Rosso 2

I was thinking of the T30's mainly but there are mixed reviews (as always so I thought I'd chuck it out there...)

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Best commuter tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2018, 08:28:11 PM »
Take a punt on Bridgestone T31.

Alternatively - my money would be on Conti Road attack 3

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2018, 08:58:31 PM »
I have been using Avon Storm 3D XM on my R1200RS for commuting and touring. Used in all weathers and in very cold conditions.

Very impressed and considerably cheaper than PR4 etc.

I buy from Chris Mullins in Gloucester - £180 a pair fitted to the bike but you are just down the road form the factory in Melksham so should have more local outlets.

I will be considering them for the XR when the time comes - only just bought it and it has part worn T31, which are okay but I do not know how many miles they have done.

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2018, 09:00:49 PM »
I had T30Rs on the bike when I bought it.  Didn't like them at all in the wet and got 10,000 kms out of them before they were down below the wear bars. 

In Canada the price premium for the Conti RA3 or Metzeler 01 is $50-$60 for the rear so if you are riding in cold and wet conditions it may be worth it...

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2018, 10:01:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
I have been using Avon Storm 3D XM on my R1200RS for commuting and touring. Used in all weathers and in very cold conditions.

Very impressed and considerably cheaper than PR4 etc.

I buy from Chris Mullins in Gloucester - £180 a pair fitted to the bike but you are just down the road form the factory in Melksham so should have more local outlets.

I will be considering them for the XR when the time comes - only just bought it and it has part worn T31, which are okay but I do not know how many miles they have done.

I have a pair on my K1200 £125 from M&P posted a few months ago.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 10:36:16 AM »
I forgot about Avon Storm.   They used to be popular with the Hayabusa brigade.    They are probably old-tech now, but at the right price - could make a good commuting tyre.

I think Continental do a budget ‘commuting’ tyre also?

Found it!      http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/contimotion/

Contimotion

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 11:04:47 AM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
I forgot about Avon Storm.   They used to be popular with the Hayabusa brigade.    They are probably old-tech now, but at the right price - could make a good commuting tyre.

I think Continental do a budget ‘commuting’ tyre also?

Found it!      http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/contimotion/

Contimotion

A mate has the Contimotion on an oilhead boxer R1100 (summat). It only makes 100bhp. He likes them.

The Avon Storm 3D is an older design but a competitor to the Michelin PR4 or Metzeler Roadtec Z8.

Avon has a newer tyre, the Spirit, which is their competitor for the Michelin Road 5 and Metzeler Roadtec 01.

Like the PR4 and Z8, the Storm 3D is still being fitted to new bikes in the factory - you will see them on some Triumphs. I had PR4 a bike when they first came out, Z8 as original tyres on my R1200RS and now Storm 3D. Whilst all of these tyres are 1 step behind the latest tech, I would happily use them on either the RS or the XR.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2018, 07:15:33 PM »
Another vote for the Avon Storm XM 3D. Nice tyre, plenty of grip, 4000 miles on the rear and it still has 4mm of tread left.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2018, 07:51:02 PM »
They appealed to me cuz the rear was a 55 most bargain basement are 50 and they where cheap made this year and later found out M&P made 10 quid a pair on them in conjunction with Avon times are tuff e’h.

I borrowed a mates KTM GT for 3 weeks part of the deal was I get home a cheap pair Mich 5’s as good as they are you wouldn’t want to live on the difference

Offline gringogordo

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Bath
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2018, 10:10:02 AM »
cheers for that.  I've (a bit arbitrarily and mostly as I've never had conti's before except on my push bike!)  narrowed it down to

Conti Road attack 3 & Avon Storm.   To be honest, which is never a good thing, I'm a bit lazy and looking for a ride in ride out service and the difference was £60 for the pair but the supplier (telling the fitter) saying the conti's were a much better tyre (I'm naively assuming he doesn't get the whole 60 quid difference!).  Still mulling it over as it's not an emergency but needs to be done in the next few weeks...

dysfunctional