Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Broken Exhaust  (Read 907 times)

Offline TOM.

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Scunthorpe
Broken Exhaust
« on: September 06, 2018, 05:54:35 PM »
Looking at my bike while my dad was sorting his luggage out on his bike minutes before leaving for France, I noticed a massive crack in my exhaust. The bike has never been off road involved in an accident and is only 7 months old.

Cancelled holiday took bike to BMW no exhausts in the country will be replaced by the middle of next week.

Any ideas what might have caused this I'm stumped?

Offline zbdmark

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwickshire
Re: Broken Exhaust
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 06:02:34 PM »
 :005: nasty but why cancel holiday it would have just made a bit of noise surely?
Plus if it's 7 months old and no exhausts are in stock the dealer should give you a loan bike!
Avoiding depression is easy - ride your bike as often as possible

Offline TOM.

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2018 XR Sport SE
  • Town: Scunthorpe
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 06:04:44 PM »
I did get a loan bike but it was to late in the day.

Offline zbdmark

• XR Member
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 06:11:21 PM »
*Originally Posted by TOM. [+]
I did get a loan bike but it was to late in the day.

Shame - what a bummer  :232:
Avoiding depression is easy - ride your bike as often as possible

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2018, 07:27:15 PM »
That sucks  :151:

Unless it’s a common point of failure due to a design issue, I would guess that it was a manufacturing defect in the weld.  Unless it was a short trip or something that could easily be postponed, I don’t think I would have cancelled my holiday though.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »
Its a bit of a bummer really. My self I would have done a weld repair if I needed the bike. Let us know what BM say.  :114:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2018, 07:44:33 PM »
Just bad luck really if I was the OP i’d Be negotiating with BM for money toward Akra headers when i took my stock headers off worse piece of mass produced tat i’ve Seen in a long time but fairness to BM just as bad as the rest

Online smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 01:26:01 AM »
Bugga, I have a good stock set hanging on the wall of my shed, I have fitted a set of Arrow headers and have no use for the originals. Trouble is, I'm in Sydney.. :027:

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 08:18:28 PM »
I have concerns over the quality of some of the parts fitted, including my exhaust where the welding of the support bracket to the exhaust looks like it has been welded by the apprentice. Holding fine but looks poor. BMW needs to improve its quality control.  :305:
PSH

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2018, 05:39:01 PM »
Hi Tom,
that's just dam bad luck, I know this does not help now but I keep some epoxy metal repair putty JB weld in my tool kit on the bike. it a small tube which you just mix together and spread on with either your finger or a flat screwdriver, it sets in like10 minutes so good for the roadside repair. 

I have used it in the past to repair exhaust stud holes and a crank case's on my other old bikes and used it on one occasion an a mates radiator after he dropped the bike and split the rad the epoxy metal repair putty held which go us home.

Good luck getting the exhaust sorted.
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

dysfunctional