Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Engine Bars  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
Engine Bars
« on: September 07, 2018, 03:02:39 AM »
I'm considering getting some engine bars, but there are several different variations at varying prices
BMW - £316 https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-engine-guard-set-s100xr-k49.html
Wunderlich - £225  https://www.nippynormans.com/s1000xr/wunderlich-engine-bars-black-s1000xr
Altrider - $531  http://www.altrider.com/altrider-crash-bars-for-the-bmw-s-1000-xr/pid/2122
Heed - £122  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ENGINE-GUARD-CRASH-BARS-HEED-BMW-S-1000-XR-2015-2018/292692052427?epid=17016491568&hash=item4425ce49cb:g:X0sAAOSwyKtbBlbV

As I have the Matt Blue bike I think black bars look better.
Do you have them fitted already? Are you happy with the fit, the look, the quality and the protection they offer? Any good/bad points you could highlight? Any other versions I haven't listed? Have you fitted or attempted to fit auxiliary lights on the bars?

Many questions, but as I didn't come across any other threads on here about this specifically, I hope this might help others as well  :002:

Thanks guys n'gals!

Mally

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Engine Bars
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:38:03 AM »
Blimey you haven’t been looking very hard there’s War and Piece on here about such with the must watch video of Cuban Rider chucking his bike down the road on BM bars.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
My view: Why buy  engine bars? If the bike goes over there will be damage even with the bars fitted so likely I would get the bike repaired on my insurance and accept that my premium may rise a little at renewal. So why do I want to pay for engine bars? Also dont like the way the engine bars are connected to the engine mounts which may possibly damage the engine in extreme cases. Dont like the look of the engine bars either and always look like an afterthought for XR's. Just my view.  :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 12:04:43 PM »
For years I fitted crash bars as bling that’s about as far as the thought process went until we were on the floor in the middle nowhere(in the UK) no mobile phone signal and no traffic and no help.

I then realised that someone out there had actually done their homework and the bike was on the floor and the only thing touching it were the crash bars it’s not about insurance or money it about survival for both you and the bike and at least having it rideable which brings us back to Cubans vid.

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 01:19:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
Blimey you haven’t been looking very hard there’s War and Piece on here about such with the must watch video of Cuban Rider chucking his bike down the road on BM bars.

Well, thanks for your very interesting comment, Whinger. I didn't know there was a British Standard Kite Mark level for the number of searches I am required to do to match your standards. My apologies and I'll try harder next time.
Actually I did a fair bit of research, including already seeing Cuban Riders video, but I was looking for some personal opinions from members who are happy to give it rather than whinge at a member for asking it. This is a small website with not a massive number of members, so comments like yours are not the most welcoming and hopefully wont put someone off from joining or posting. Fortunately I'm not that sensitive, so I'll take your comments and instantly forget them.

Paul, thanks for your comment. The  problem I foresee with just relying on your insurance is that you would still be paying your excess, which I would guess would be close or even higher than the price of the bars in the first place. On top of that, if the damage (without bars) is quite low (paintwork scratched, something bent) then it might be too trivial to put a claim in. Obviously if it is a big smash/drop then even if the bars are fitted, you would still be claiming, but perhaps they might be protecting you if you're still with the bike as it slides down the road.

I'm particularly interested in any comments about the Heed crashbars as I haven't seen anything regarding their fit or reliability, bearing in mind they are pretty inexpensive. Although I'm inclined, at the moment, to consider them too low a price to be of great quality. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Mally

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 01:31:09 PM »
Hi Mally. Although I have not fitted engine protection bars, I did research them but could not decide on the benefits. But there is a lead on here about the Wunderlich bars. It appears that they caused major engine damage, and after a bit of a wrangle they paid out for a new engine. I will try to search this lead out and post you the details. But overall my choice would be the BM one's if I ever decided to fit them.
Hope this helps....

Just found the Post,  It was posted by  Ifrank  on August  26th  2016. I put in Wunderlich engine bars / Engine damage in the search bar.
Well worth a read.....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 01:36:27 PM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline advr6

• XR Member
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 01:58:19 PM »
I also have the matte blue bike fitted the SW Motech bars.  Installation was straightforward and fit and finish are good.   Price was reasonable compared to the OEM bars.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2018, 02:00:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Hi Mally. Although I have not fitted engine protection bars, I did research them but could not decide on the benefits. But there is a lead on here about the Wunderlich bars. It appears that they caused major engine damage, and after a bit of a wrangle they paid out for a new engine. I will try to search this lead out and post you the details. But overall my choice would be the BM one's if I ever decided to fit them.
Hope this helps....

Just found the Post,  It was posted by  Ifrank  on August  26th  2016. I put in Wunderlich engine bars / Engine damage in the search bar.
Well worth a read.....

The whole Wunderlich Engine bars fiasco was a riding buddy of mine and yes, it was a bit of a fiasco. I am not promoting or denouncing Wunderlich bars, but I understand that they have redesigned their bars and attachments.

Personally I have the BMW bars on mine(have had them powder coated black). I actually quite like them as they are not completely 'sticky out' types and I think flow quite well.

With regards to Heed, not heard of them, and there maybe a reason for that?!?

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Town: Berkshire UK
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2018, 02:43:03 PM »
I’d say BMW bars powder coated black does look great but expensive as you know!  I was looking at the SW motech ones, cheaper but quality option! I have seen the heed ones?? on eBay but worried they are cheap Chinese?????

Winger does not appear to be very happy or helpful sometimes!  :305:

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2018, 03:16:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mally [+]
Well, thanks for your very interesting comment, Whinger. I didn't know there was a British Standard Kite Mark level for the number of searches I am required to do to match your standards. My apologies and I'll try harder next time.
Actually I did a fair bit of research, including already seeing Cuban Riders video, but I was looking for some personal opinions from members who are happy to give it rather than whinge at a member for asking it. This is a small website with not a massive number of members, so comments like yours are not the most welcoming and hopefully wont put someone off from joining or posting. Fortunately I'm not that sensitive, so I'll take your comments and instantly forget them.

Paul, thanks for your comment. The  problem I foresee with just relying on your insurance is that you would still be paying your excess, which I would guess would be close or even higher than the price of the bars in the first place. On top of that, if the damage (without bars) is quite low (paintwork scratched, something bent) then it might be too trivial to put a claim in. Obviously if it is a big smash/drop then even if the bars are fitted, you would still be claiming, but perhaps they might be protecting you if you're still with the bike as it slides down the road.

I'm particularly interested in any comments about the Heed crashbars as I haven't seen anything regarding their fit or reliability, bearing in mind they are pretty inexpensive. Although I'm inclined, at the moment, to consider them too low a price to be of great quality. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Mally

Thin skin and a biker  :001: bad combo dude

As for crash bars show me ones that folks have actually used going down the road and i’m All interest but currently that at stands at the BM option via Cuban Rider which takes us back to the other website hey ho  :305:

dysfunctional