Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Factory alarm  (Read 1061 times)

Offline Roadsprocket

• XR Junior
  • Bike: Triumph
  • Town: Essex
Factory alarm
« on: September 09, 2018, 09:09:00 PM »
So I’ve been playing with all the features on the new bike, which led to me switching on the alarm, thought I’d see how sensitive it was and loud etc etc...

In comparison to other alarms I’ve had which left my ears ringing & neighbours peeking curtains, I’m shocked this sounds like a delivery van’s reverse warning beacon in the near-distance. There must be a volume control?! I’ve read the manual and noted the alarm tone can be changed at a dealership, so I’m confident there’s advanced settings mere owners don’t get to play with.. is the volume one of them?

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: Factory alarm
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2018, 12:06:54 AM »
*Originally Posted by Roadsprocket [+]
So I’ve been playing with all the features on the new bike, which led to me switching on the alarm, thought I’d see how sensitive it was and loud etc etc...

In comparison to other alarms I’ve had which left my ears ringing & neighbours peeking curtains, I’m shocked this sounds like a delivery van’s reverse warning beacon in the near-distance. There must be a volume control?! I’ve read the manual and noted the alarm tone can be changed at a dealership, so I’m confident there’s advanced settings mere owners don’t get to play with.. is the volume one of them?

I believe it may be a dealer only or GS-911 item....I have the GS-911 but don't have the factory alarm, so I can't say for sure.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2018, 12:30:07 PM »
Never had the BM factory alarm. But always removed others as I always found them, more trouble than there worth. Especially the Datatag always a pain in the derriere.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2018, 01:28:02 PM »
*Originally Posted by Roadsprocket [+]
I’m shocked this sounds like a delivery van’s reverse warning beacon in the near-distance.

I think it is designed this way so as not to disturb your neighbors when you keep inadvertently setting it off and it's sounding while you fumble to find the key and switch the ignition on!  :008: :008:  It's a shame BMW couldn't put a button on the key to arm and disarm the thing, like the lock and unlock button on most car keys

I thought it was a bit quiet myself, but I haven't left it going for more that the initial tone change / volume increase.  I wonder if it ramps up the longer you leave it  :027:

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2018, 03:29:00 PM »
I find the BMW alarm loud enough although it doesn't stay on that long. I really find the alarm more trouble than its worth and have now set mine to off having previously had it set to auto, but have got fed up with it going off if I move the bike (which I guess is what it supposed to do) but worse, going off on ferries, or the Chunnel. I won't be specifying the alarm which costs over £200 on my next XR and will instead rely on my alarmed disc locks which are much better and cheaper.  :305:
PSH

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2018, 04:45:47 PM »
 :0461: Same reason that I have removed mine from previous bikes  :232: :232:. I now use an alarmed disc lock system, better IMO, plus cheaper.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2018, 07:23:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
I find the BMW alarm loud enough although it doesn't stay on that long. I really find the alarm more trouble than its worth and have now set mine to off having previously had it set to auto, but have got fed up with it going off if I move the bike (which I guess is what it supposed to do) but worse, going off on ferries, or the Chunnel. I won't be specifying the alarm which costs over £200 on my next XR and will instead rely on my alarmed disc locks which are much better and cheaper.  :305:
Agree 100%!
And BMW won't allow a K1600 remote to be programmed into the alarm on the XR.  :232: