Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from Southend!  (Read 649 times)

Offline kevinleigh

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Southend-on-Sea
Hi from Southend!
« on: September 13, 2018, 11:19:02 PM »
Just joined the forum. Picking up my XR tomorrow. Trading my Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide I’ve owned for 15 years from new so big change. Fell out of love with my current ride and wanted to enjoy and improve my riding. A mate swapped his HD V-Rod for the S1000R and raved over it. I prefer an upright riding position following a back operation years ago. My son recommended this bike after I sat on Honda African Twin at a show last Sunday. So test road one a couple days ago alongside an R1200RT. Loved the XR the moment I moved off on it. Looking forward to enjoying riding again and seeing what 15 years makes to riding technology.
Happy for any sensible and polite advice and tips about ownership and riding.

Offline otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: Hi from Southend!
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 11:36:10 PM »
Welcome Kevin, glad to have you.   :002:

Offline kevinleigh

• XR Junior
Cheers from Southend!
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 11:56:57 PM »
I am looking forward to exploring the forum.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2018, 01:07:45 PM »
Hi Mate and welcome to the forum. Look forward to your input.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Belco100

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SE Sport
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2018, 02:40:44 PM »
Hi, another Southend XR Rider.    :062:

Great choice - where did you get yours from? The local BMW dealers?

Offline millview

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2018, 05:24:12 PM »
*Originally Posted by Belco100 [+]
Hi, another Southend XR Rider.    :062:

Great choice - where did you get yours from? The local BMW dealers?

I'm close by as well...a gaggle of XRs in South East Essex!
S1000XR Sport SE

Offline zbdmark

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2018, 07:40:27 PM »
 :400: wow that's a massive change. Guess you will be one of the few people not bothered with so called 'vibrations' through the bars being used to er, lets just say, a bike that 'shakes'  :008:
Avoiding depression is easy - ride your bike as often as possible

Offline eljay998

• XR Member
  • From R to XR....
  • Bike: S1000XR sport SE
  • Town: hockley
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2018, 11:28:35 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Plenty of XRs around here!   I'm in Hullbridge.  :002:

Welcome to the best bike you've ever owned  :038:

Lee.
S1000XR sport SE

Offline kevinleigh

• XR Junior
Thanks to everyone!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2018, 07:56:10 PM »
Well, it's nice to see some more people from around this part of the world. I've a lot to learn as my riding style has been shaped by my Harley so it's like starting out again. I only collected it Friday and managed a quick jaunt out towards Wallasea Island chasing my son on his Yamaha MT07 (but turned back after too many speed bumps on the last part).
I noticed the slight vibes around 4K revs but as someone noted coming from a Harley it's relatively minor! I am going to buy some bar ends as I've read they are supposed to help. I heard the new models have some dampening on the handlebar and wondered if someone has come up with a rubber type strip to go round the clamp. I'm not mechanical (though my son is) but I recall the ape hangars on my HD having something where the bars fixed to the top of the steering yoke that was rubbery. Maybe that's too agricultural for a BMW!
I've got BMW side panniers matched to the bike (red). I'm used to a bulky bike but am looking forward to threading through the traffic instead of sitting in it. Does anyone think the panniers make it too wide? Or, as my guesstimate suggests, the width of the handle bar is slightly wider so if they fit the gap then the bike will too (though the bars sit high so can pass over car mirrors etc).
I need to get used to the speed as everything seems to be happening at least 20mph higher than my last bike. I'm a relaxed rider (probably age and previous riding on cruisers for 20 years).
I am loving the pro shift system. It makes concentrating on riding so much easier and doubtless changes better than I could manually. Having come from a noisy bike (Vance & Hines straight through pipes on a 1450cc V-Twin with carbs) that I got tired off in the end, I am actually enjoying the sound of the XR. Indeed everyone who has heard it is impressed. It's different from the Harley and not as loud or deep but the buzz is nice and makes me feel I am riding something with energy.
I hope to see some other XRs out there though spotting non-HDs and figuring what they are is all new to me! I just nod at any biker I see since I just enjoy the friendliness (usually) of bikers. What you ride is very personal!
Thanks for the prompt welcomes!  :018:
:152: