Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Head stock / triple tree bearings  (Read 1685 times)

Offline Tony XR se

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000xr se
  • Town: Lincoln UK
Head stock / triple tree bearings
« on: September 14, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »
I need to replace head stock bearings, original are ball type does any body know if there is a TAPER ROLLER available, l have searched and asked with no joy and now bring my question to you..
Less than 10k miles an upgrade is the way forward I think

Share the knowledge  :-)

Online PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Head stock / triple tree bearings
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »
Why would the bearing require replacement after only 10k miles? Wouldn't that be back to the dealer?  :305:
PSH

Offline Tony XR se

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 11:24:02 AM »
Well it's out of warranty now and in the last 3 weeks it has been re'torqued twice
So doing it myself and thought that a TAPER ROLLER would make sense as bmw fit these to both the 1000rr and the r  :-)

Offline Tony XR se

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 12:53:07 PM »
Quick  update
will be using either ntn ball bearing or all balls TAPER  bearings
Will post again when fitted with part no. And type +cost
Cheers Tony

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 03:33:06 PM »
*Originally Posted by Tony XR se [+]
I need to replace head stock bearings, original are ball type does any body know if there is a TAPER ROLLER available, l have searched and asked with no joy and now bring my question to you..
Less than 10k miles an upgrade is the way forward I think

Share the knowledge  :-)

What's wrong with them ?
I'm asking because it seems your case is not isolated, there are some registered problems with steering stem bearings on other BMW models too.
CubanRider also mentioned in one of his XR review videos that he had to re-torque his bearings because they got loose.
On my current bike ('16 R12R) I can also feel light "clicking" in handlebar when braking on wavy surface, or when I preload the brakes and then add more braking force - it clicks, but not always. This clicking usually means the bearings are loose, but when I try to move the forks to see is there any play, everything seems fine and tight.
I also re-torqued the bearings twice (15 Nm spec), but it still clicks. Handling is fine however
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 03:39:29 PM by esso_sa »

Offline Tony XR se

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »
 esso_sa
Yes that's true for me too.. after re torque with front wheel off the ground pulling / pushing on the bottom of the forks no play was felt.. so a short test ride it had to be..
At about 30mph I would stab and release the front brake while my left index finger was wedged on top of the frame and also touching the headstock under the top yolk .. to feel for movement as I stabbed the brake it was only doing it this way I could still feel a small amount of play..
At that point i decided New bearings needed ...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 07:57:11 PM by Tony XR se »

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
esso_sa
Yes that's true for me too.. after re torque with front wheel off the ground pulling / pushing on the bottom of the forks no play was felt.. so a short test ride it had to be..
At about 30mph I would stab and release the front brake while my left index finger was wedged on top of the frame and also touching the headstock under the top yolk .. to feel for movement as I stabbed the brake it was only doing it this way I could still feel a small amount of play..
At that point i decided New bearings needed ...

Yes, same with me, you can feel the movement under the finger. It seems that R12R has the same bearings as XR (part no 31428548780) so if you find a tapered alternative, please share their part numbers, I think I will follow your route

Offline Tony XR se

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2018, 11:41:48 AM »
*Originally Posted by esso_sa [+]
Yes, same with me, you can feel the movement under the finger. It seems that R12R has the same bearings as XR (part no 31428548780) so if you find a tapered alternative, please share their part numbers, I think I will follow your route

Bearings ordered today TAPER ROLLER  actual size 35-55-15  ...
Bmw original size is 35-55-14.5
I don't see the extra half a millimetre in height being a problem but will know by the end of the week

Offline jgk1459

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2018, 12:44:22 PM »
Same here, MY16 XR, 8000 miles.

I noticed it shortly after buying (approved used) and took it back, they torqued the headstock but the 'clicking' noise is back after only 200 miles or so.

Its booked in for an investigation on Thursday this week. I'll update the forum once they've completed the report.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2018, 12:58:58 PM »
Bearings ordered today TAPER ROLLER  actual size 35-55-15  ...
Bmw original size is 35-55-14.5
I don't see the extra half a millimetre in height being a problem but will know by the end of the week

Thanks and let us know how did they fit  :028: