Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Bike Magazine Bike of the Year 2018  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Penpals

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
  • Town: Bruton
Bike Magazine Bike of the Year 2018
« on: September 18, 2018, 04:10:52 PM »
Can someone tell me pease how the Ducati Multistrada comes in at 6th place (and we know the XR can whip it!), and yet the XR is not even in the top 50. I assume Bike magazine has something against BMW or   :232:

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Bike Magazine Bike of the Year 2018
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2018, 07:17:41 PM »
Exactly the same as Ride Magazine's skewed reports. They really must have shares in Triumph.  :192: :192: :192:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 08:13:05 PM »
Yes I was very surprised that there was no mention of the XR which is much better than the majority of bikes featured, in fact BMW was not that well represented that well at all.  :305:
PSH

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 11:10:25 PM »
Pffft. If a magazine article gives all the encouragement you need to buy an MTS without testing anything else then go for it. The Ducati forum welcomes you. Be glad this forum isn't full of sheep. We know its the better bike. If there was a significant update to the XR (like MTS has just gone through) then I'm sure it would be considered. New colours, 5hp and increased load capacity just doesn't cut it.

I bought my MTS is 2014 before the XR was released... but when it was finally launched, it only took one test ride to see it was superior in almost every way.
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 10:44:59 AM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
Pffft. If a magazine article gives all the encouragement you need to buy an MTS without testing anything else then go for it. The Ducati forum welcomes you. Be glad this forum isn't full of sheep. We know its the better bike. If there was a significant update to the XR (like MTS has just gone through) then I'm sure it would be considered. New colours, 5hp and increased load capacity just doesn't cut it.

I bought my MTS is 2014 before the XR was released... but when it was finally launched, it only took one test ride to see it was superior in almost every way.

Agree. Some significant updates to the XR are long overdue. Like BMW are doing with the GS.  :305:
PSH

Offline Penpals

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
  • Town: Bruton
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2018, 12:28:04 PM »
Take your point about significant upgrades but my bike is only 12 months old and I can’t afford another one for another couple of years!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 11:18:29 AM »
*Originally Posted by Penpals [+]
Take your point about significant upgrades but my bike is only 12 months old and I can’t afford another one for another couple of years!

Understood, but I originally had a 2015 XR then bought a 2017 and am aiming to buy another new XR next year. The reality is that there have been very few improvements to the original 2015 bike beyond a claimed fix to the vibration issue, colour options and EUR 4. The majority of areas where improvements could be easily made by BMW - poor heated grips for instance, continue to be ignored. Although the XR is a fantastic bike technology is stagnating compared with the competition.  :305:
PSH

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 09:17:54 PM »
Who cares if the XR is not in the top 50?

Honestly, the XR is the best "do everything" bike I've had. However, I'm not concerned with how it rates in someone elses skewed opinion poll against the, allegedly, latest and greatest alternatives.

My next bike may well be a Ducati, to scratch an itch. And maybe back to Triumph after that, because I love my triples.

Why does it matter that your bike doesn't feature in some journo's poll. Actually, it's not a poll. It's someone elses fantasy.

All that matters is that you are happy with your bike, surely?

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2018, 07:31:07 PM »
 :460:  Cannot say better than that. Nothing I know of out there that can still match the XR even though it has not had any major updates since 2015.  Just shows how good it was then. So what if the heated grips are not the best, I personally think they are ok. But then I do not ride in the depths of Winter. As always its horse's for course's. I just love the bike.   :034: :034:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2018, 08:55:03 PM »
Note also that the XR is almost £1k more than it was in 2015 - nice for BMW for what is essentially the same bike  :305:
PSH