Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Gold break callipers  (Read 2838 times)

Offline wesoly75

• XR Junior
Gold break callipers
« on: September 23, 2018, 07:33:21 PM »
Hello
Have anyone of you fitted gold break callipers from s1000rr/r or R1200RS on S1000xr? Is it possible?
Thank you

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Gold break callipers
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2018, 10:28:48 PM »
I guess you can paint it any color you want. There are specific to caliper paints available.
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline Gairo

• XR Member
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: South Staffs
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2018, 11:00:18 PM »
I'm led to believe its the same forks and calliper mountings on the R/RR/XR so in theory it should be possible :028:
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly...

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 12:15:14 AM »
I agree with Gairo, it should be possible. Are you after looks or better performance/feel??? ( I think the weak point in the XR brakes is the front master cylinder)

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 08:34:36 AM »
 Did'nt know that the XR  brakes, were weak.  :110:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2018, 09:02:00 AM »
I think they are, or rather I think they are inconsistent.

They seem to be fine if you are using them a lot ie hairpin blast hairpin. However if you are on a long straight then go for a big haul down from higher speed sometimes it feels like there is more travel in the lever.

I spoke to some friends who race S1000rr's and they said its the same on the rr if you keep the ABS unit. Even changing the master cylinder does not cure it.

As mine is a road bike I don't really want to remove the ABS, but I don't think the brakes are the best feature of the XR.

Offline wesoly75

• XR Junior
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2018, 10:11:01 AM »
Main reason I asked is that one of the callipers on the bike was seized and I thought maybe I could get the gold ones as they look sweet. I think they have different part number than R and RR.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 11:23:06 AM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
Did'nt know that the XR  brakes, were weak.  :110:

"Break" calipers...??? Are they broken..?? :027: :016:

Me either....plenty of 235kmh+ pulls down to ~65kmh for turn two at Eastern Creek and Philip Island race circuits....not an issue with my brakes...in fact, they're close to the top ones that I've had on any bike.

Smithy.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 11:26:18 AM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 11:35:33 AM »
Smithy, do you never get the initial feeling that they are not working followed by it being OK?

I know I am not the only one who has felt this. As I said its not the power its the inconsistent feeling.

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 02:35:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Smithy, do you never get the initial feeling that they are not working followed by it being OK?

I know I am not the only one who has felt this. As I said its not the power its the inconsistent feeling.

I agree completely, I am in the process of putting on a RR master cylinder to see how that 'feels'. I have no problem with the stopping power, just how it feels at the lever.