Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hi from Newcastle Australia  (Read 1314 times)

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
Hi from Newcastle Australia
« on: September 30, 2018, 01:48:12 PM »
Hi Folks,

New member from Newcastle Australia.

I just traded my fairly sorted 2014 Multistrada on a new 2017 run out Granite/Red/White tricolour XR. I rated the Multi fairly highly and had 36k trouble free KM but a test ride on the XR had me reaching for my wallet. I really didn’t think I would be interested in owning an IL4 again after years of triples and twins but that BMW engine really is a masterpiece.

I have found the information on here really useful so far and the costly mods have begun.

I bought the HP high seat, Nav 6 and full luggage as part of the deal and have already done Evotech rad/oil guards with LeoVince end can, Evotech tail tidy, bar ends and exhaust hanger on the way. I then just need some advice on a replacement screen as being 6’3’ the stock screen is between bloody noisy and unusable for me in both positions. Puig Racing screen or short Powerbronze are current front runners as i generally dont get on well with screens and prefer to get a shorter option to get them out of the way like the pikes peak screen i ran on my Multi. Its strictly a toy and i have no commuting duty so that would be my preference.

After that lot i plan on just riding and maintaining the thing as unlike the Multi the XR works right out of the box.

I have only had it 8 days and have 600km on it with another 450km planned for tomorrow to get to the first service knocked over before heading to the Australian MotoGP round in a few weeks.

I have owned motorcycles all my life and look forward to contributing when i can.

Thanks for your time.

Online otrp

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
Re: Hi from Newcastle Australia
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »
Welcome Newy, glad to have you.  :002:

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 02:08:31 PM »
 :400: and congrats.

I can't comment on the PB sport screen, but I have been looking at it. I have however cut down a stock screen to about the same height as the PB sport, as well as putting 1cm spacers on the lower 2 attachment points to angle the screen back more. For me (at 5'11") this is a vast improvement. if I lift my head an inch or so it is almost perfect(hopefully getting a higher seat will sort this, mine came with a low seat). So I think at 6'3" this may be good for you. I may eventually consider the PB sport, but my cut down is working for now!

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2018, 02:44:10 PM »
 :400: Newy, Great choice of bike mate. Still enjoying mine and is without doubt, the best bike I have ever owned overall. Keep us informed and Look forward to your input.. :002:
One big word of warning though. Unlike some of your fellow countrymen, we do not want sarcastic reminders. Of how nice your weather is over there.   :110: :110: :211:    :001: :001: :001:  Weather here today is dry but..... :190:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2018, 04:07:01 PM »
Newy

As you’ll have seen from old posts I went stock/sportPB/Sport Puig screens are such a personal thing as you’ll know just a case of hunting around and spending money till you find what floats your boat.

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2018, 08:02:44 PM »
Thanks for the kind welcome and input.

You are absolutely correct about screens being a personal choice. One persons idea of perfect is the next persons torture device.

Great job on the cutdown version. I would happily keep the stock screen as it is typical BMW quality  and it suits the bike in my opinion but whether its the angle or height it just seems to blast air directly at my visor in the low position and it is even worse noise wise in the raised position. It isn’t turbulent air per se but it is just too noisy.

As mentioned i think i would prefer to reduce the height and keep the wind flow under my helmet all together rather than trying to find a taller option that works.

Can anyone verify if the Puig Racing is much lower than stock as size wise it looks very similar?

Obviously the powerbronze is lower but to my eye it looks just a tad too small for the lines of the bike but i am sure it will grow on me.

Also powerbronze at least have a decent presence in Australia as opposed to Puig who don’t even seem to have an Oz distributor.

Absolutely No jibes about the weather from me even though tomorrow is supposed to be 22 and sunny...😁

Thanks again

Offline zbdmark

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2018, 08:36:46 PM »
 :400:
Agree that screens are a very subjective topic. Sometimes what looks good is not that effective and visa versa. Personally I've gone for a MRA Vario which has a defuser and for me works perfectly in the lowest setting. I would be the first to admit that it's not the best looking of those available though!     
Avoiding depression is easy - ride your bike as often as possible

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2018, 10:49:59 PM »
I went for the MRA vario screen. Perfect.
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline Garbo

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1kxr
  • Town: Newcastle
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2018, 06:01:01 AM »
Gday newy, another newy bloke here. Had my XR for a few years now and wouldn’t trade it for anything else. I too have the MRA vario. At 5’11” it suits me perfectly sending air to my shoulders in lower position and to my visor in the high. Hope to see you around the traps some time.  :400:

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2018, 06:57:17 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newy1000 [+]

Can anyone verify if the Puig Racing is much lower than stock

Thanks again

It is but not by much.

I keeped my PB screen which is a lot lower for hot weather running although ironically when seeing the weather forecast for Spain on a recent trip decided to go on another bike(because I could).