Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Use high beams in daytime?  (Read 2790 times)

Offline Ant

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
Use high beams in daytime?
« on: October 01, 2018, 04:00:55 AM »
Curious if anyone uses their high beam during the day to help increase their visibility to those 4 wheel demons on the road.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
Re: Use high beams in daytime?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 06:51:08 AM »
Only if I'm overtaking or filtering past a line of traffic, mainly if it's go-to-work time and they're pissed off and more likely to do something stupid....

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 12:18:50 PM »
Only when the driver infront does something stupid. And then not for long.

It's really annoying when someone is coming towards you with their lights up, and to me says they're a bit dim in the head and they don't care about anybody else. So I try to keep the high beam for when I really need it.
Come to think of it, I regard spot lamps in the same vain.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 12:21:20 PM by Nelster »

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 02:06:29 PM »
Agreed.
If I'm on high beams during those times I dip them when vehicles are coming towards me. Those on my left aren't likely to turn out into the path of oncoming...
Using highs all the time is ignorant.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
May use high beam for a while if overtaking + indicator but not otherwise. I rely on the DRL.  :305:
PSH

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 11:03:21 AM »
Do you find the DRL is better than the dip? It's certainly pretty bright close up....

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
*Originally Posted by merlin [+]
Do you find the DRL is better than the dip? It's certainly pretty bright close up....

Yes, particularly as the dip is on one side only  :305:
PSH

Offline Herbie53

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Toledo
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 01:11:38 AM »
Run with the highs on all the time. My wife's bike also has Clearwater aux lights which are also on. My next move will be to put a set of those on Matilda as well. I want to bastards to see me.

Offline Salem

• XR Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »
I respect other riders and drivers. I do not like coming out of a turn on lean angle in a forest, my head just above a headlight of an oncoming motorbike on high beam. If I can I will aggressively adjust my corner line to let that rider know I'm not happy. And it's freaking annoying to have a high beam in your mirrors.
Do what you want, but don't be surprised if others react. Most cars will continue to have better lights (led/laser) than bikes

Offline Herbie53

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2018 BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Toledo
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2018, 02:20:36 PM »
The low beams are always on as soon as one turns on the bike. I put the high beams on to add another layer of protection. It is so common around these parts that virtually all motorcycles run with high beams on all the time and I've never had anyone on a bike get upset. Many, especially Harley riders have switched their headlights out for very bright LED's. No problem for me. Once in a great while a car will flash their lights but at least they noticed me. I very rarely ride at night and when I do the low beams are on. Don't know where you are from but I wonder if the headlight patterns are different in other parts of the world.

dysfunctional