Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 18K Diy service  (Read 1260 times)

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
18K Diy service
« on: October 01, 2018, 08:15:21 AM »
Did the majority of the 18K service at the weekend.

I cheated a little as removed the fork legs and got a suspension oil changed by someone else. I also have not done the valve clearance and timing check yet. I will do them as soon as I get decent price source for the tools.

There is a lot of bodywork to take off but all in all not too difficult at all. I suspect it might be a little bit tight when I come to take rocker cover off to do the valve clearences.

I used the motoscan tool to reset the service interval.

Offline Bob S

• XR Pro
  • Town: Welwyn, Herts
Re: 18K Diy service
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2018, 10:59:21 AM »
Bazzer,

What did you use to connect to the bike to get a signal from Motoscan? And what year is your bike, does it have the OBD II port?

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2018, 11:06:02 AM »
Hi I used ODBLink MX bluetooth module and an adaptor cable from ebay.

Its a 2015 bike so the round connector.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 10:29:16 AM »
Always change my bike before the 18k service which is very expensive  :305:
PSH

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 10:37:06 AM »
Not as expensive as replacing your bike :-)

I think I am going to buy the cam timing tools in the next couple of weeks and do that. If I do they will be available to rent for a small fee on here :-)

Also doing it your self turns a £700 service into a £300 service even if you get BMW to change the oil in the fork legs.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 10:46:57 AM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Not as expensive as replacing your bike :-)

I think I am going to buy the cam timing tools in the next couple of weeks and do that. If I do they will be available to rent for a small fee on here :-)

Also doing it your self turns a £700 service into a £300 service even if you get BMW to change the oil in the fork legs.

Yes but you do get a new bike which does not require and replacements and a new 3 year warranty  :305:
PSH

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 10:58:28 AM »
Being new to the S series engines I'm wondering why they need the cam timing checking if the cams are chain driven and (presumably) have a tensioner?

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 11:01:27 AM »
True but I also don't have the ball ache of having to take it to the dealer not to maintain said warranty. That said they do good biscuits and coffee :-)

I did contemplating changing bikes but I do a fair few miles decided I kind of like being in charge of my own destiny working on it. Taking it to the dealer to do an oil change is a pain in the arse and generally time off work. Changing the oil myself at my leisure.

I will run it for another couple of years then its basically earned its money.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 11:03:37 AM »
The service schedule says the cam timing needs to be checked/adjusted to to wear in the cam chain/sprockets.

The same tool set is also used to set the cam timing if you actually need to change the valve clearances.

I am expecting it will be £170 to tell me the timing is fine though :-)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 11:05:28 AM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
True but I also don't have the ball ache of having to take it to the dealer not to maintain said warranty. That said they do good biscuits and coffee :-)

I did contemplating changing bikes but I do a fair few miles decided I kind of like being in charge of my own destiny working on it. Taking it to the dealer to do an oil change is a pain in the arse and generally time off work. Changing the oil myself at my leisure.

I will run it for another couple of years then its basically earned its money.

Fair enough, I just want to ride the bike and not be bothered with servicing, beyond chan lube / adjusting - not easy or pleasant to fiddle with particularly if you dont know what you are doing  :305:
PSH