Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Failed to start  (Read 1297 times)

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Wakefield
Failed to start
« on: October 01, 2018, 03:05:15 PM »
Went to XR this morning (2018 Model) failed to start. Absolutely nothing on dash. Turned on off several times, flicked cut out switch, side stand, clutch etc but still no joy. The bike was running perfectly yesterday and no known draw on battery overnight. I had to jump on the Thunderbird to get to work and will check battery connections when I get home, but has anyone experienced similar symptoms?

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Failed to start
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 11:04:15 AM »
Until you turn up and say otherwise i’d Say battery has fallen off a cliff,I changed mine earlier this year to another genuine battery bought off a gent whose battery had gone belly up while touring Europe so he bought a new one while on the road when he came back dealer gave him a new one but then sold the bike and the battery too me.

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 11:21:07 AM »
Looks like a faulty battery as I charged it up, off the bike and within a couple of hours went from full charge to nearly flat. Still under warranty so trip to the dealer now

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 11:38:52 AM »
*Originally Posted by Anchorman [+]
Looks like a faulty battery as I charged it up, off the bike and within a couple of hours went from full charge to nearly flat. Still under warranty so trip to the dealer now

I  wouldn't bother with a "genuine" battery.....they're basically junk....many of them fail. Mine lasted all of three weeks, replaced it with a good quality lithium type and no issues since.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »
 :0461: With Smithy. Only problem is you would have to pay for it. Maybe get a replacement under warranty, sell that and buy a proper one.
 :002: :002:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Anchorman

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 12:10:20 PM »
I will get it replaced undef warranty and then possibly keep it as a back up replacing it with a 'quality. aftermarket unit. Many thanks for your replies

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 12:14:56 PM »
I certainly wouldn’t sell it their worth nothing I paid 15 quid collected off eBay hadn’t even been taken out of the box.

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 12:35:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
I certainly wouldn’t sell it their worth nothing I paid 15 quid collected off eBay hadn’t even been taken out of the box.
[/color]

I would not admit to buying something for £15.00, if they are worth nothing.

Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 02:13:46 PM »
*Originally Posted by smithy [+]
I  wouldn't bother with a "genuine" battery.....they're basically junk....many of them fail. Mine lasted all of three weeks, replaced it with a good quality lithium type and no issues since.

Smithy.

What lithium unit did you get? I'm keen to try one out on my bike. I'm assuming the bike's charging system is happy with it (or vice versa), and you need a specific charger for off-bike?
Are you expecting any cold weather issues?

Offline Winger

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 02:33:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
[/color]

I would not admit to buying something for £15.00, if they are worth nothing.

You don’t have the monopoly on being a tight arse most of the time but all  :164:

dysfunctional