Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Topbox Lock Removal  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
Topbox Lock Removal
« on: October 03, 2018, 12:53:42 AM »
Hi All,

Does anyone know how to remove the BMW topbox lock to allow rekeying?

Search came up blank.

I now know how to remove the pannier locks due to a helpful youtube vid but came up blank on the topbox.

My luggage isn’t keyed to my ignition which isn’t a deal breaker but being able to rekey all the luggage to match my ignition would be handy.

Any input appreciated.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Topbox Lock Removal
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »
Google “BMW Topbox lock”,

Shows this:   
Or - switch to images and open a few likely looking images - they could lead to a photo-sequence of the process.

I have done it before on Vario topbox, and certainly that application - was intuitive.

Good luck  :028:

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 10:40:38 AM »
Can be difficult to get the locks out. The dealer can get the locks out and also rekey the lock to your key. Its easy to rekey yourself if you have a full set of tumblers and take care.  :305:
PSH

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I will educate myself on YouTube and see if i can get it done.

How do you buy the tumbler plates? Or do i need to buy a lock set from the dealer to get them?

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newy1000 [+]
Thanks for the replies. I will educate myself on YouTube and see if i can get it done.

How do you buy the tumbler plates? Or do i need to buy a lock set from the dealer to get them?

You can buy a set of tumblers separately  :305:
PSH

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 10:49:53 AM »
Great thanks again.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 11:00:29 AM »
Great thanks again.

If I were you I would go to the dealer and ask them how to remove the lock. I think they have a tool to do it. Essentially, the innermost end of the lock barrel has a spring tab that you insert when fitting the barrel which pops out and retains the barrel when you push the lock into place after rekeying it - that what you need to compress with the key inserted to remove the barrel. The bit that takes the time is the re keying and you will need the instructions if you dont know how to do it as its easy to mess it up and then you will have the problem of having to remove the barrel again. Alternatively just use 2 keys  :305:
PSH

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 11:12:49 AM »
Yeah as i said the second key isn’t a deal breaker and the dealer I bought the bike off said the locks are hard to get out without damaging the bags and it’s easier to run two keys but after doing a bit of research i am thinking they just put it in the too hard basket.

I should clarify, i bought a near new set of luggage off another bike at a good discount when I bought the XR , so they were already keyed to the traded bike.

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 12:22:45 PM »
the dealer I bought the bike off said the locks are hard to get out without damaging the bags and it’s easier to run two keys

I would be considering anew dealer if that is their opinion.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 12:50:19 PM »
Cant remember how many wafers are fitted (6?) but dont worry if you only have a match for 3 - the lock is still pretty secure at that number.