Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Reliability issues  (Read 2102 times)

Offline BugCatcher

• XR Junior
Reliability issues
« on: October 06, 2018, 09:49:41 AM »
Hi everyone. I've just joined. I've got a VFR800 Cross runner and now looking to get a bigger bike with a similar style. I've seen the XR and it looks amazing. I would like some views on reliability. I've seen a YouTube video where a guy was moaning about things going wrong. So does anyone have experience of the XR having any reliability issues? Thank you.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
Re: Reliability issues
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »
An honest answer, no I have not had any reliability issues. But like any other bike, little issues have occurred. On some bikes there has been problems with the Instrument panel ( Clock will not set correctly ) but BMW will change the faulty part.
In my case I have had no problems at all, and am extremely confident in my bike's reliability. I have owned many bikes over the years and hand on heart, this is the best all round bike I have ever had the pleasure to own. Its absolutely a hoot to ride, and for me extremely comfortable, over long distances. Keep us informed and a big welcome to the Forum....... :305:   
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2018, 10:47:35 AM »
 :0461:

The bike does just about everything - from rapid road riding, carrying all the luggage when necessary - to alpine passes.

Other bikes to consider would be:    KTM 1290GT, Triumph Tiger Sport, and lesser-powered BMW R1200RS?

But - if the ‘sports-adv’ Type of bike appeals - I’d have the XR well up the list.

Offline BugCatcher

• XR Junior
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2018, 11:16:10 AM »
Thanks guys. I considered the R1200GS after seeing review by The Missenden Flyer and Kawasaki z1000sx. Test rode Kawasaki but it's just not as comfortable as my VFR800x so looking for something similar style. When I saw the XR and it's performance. Wow! That's what I'm looking for 😎

Online wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
*Originally Posted by BugCatcher [+]
Thanks guys. I considered the R1200GS after seeing review by The Missenden Flyer and Kawasaki z1000sx. Test rode Kawasaki but it's just not as comfortable as my VFR800x so looking for something similar style. When I saw the XR and it's performance. Wow! That's what I'm looking for 😎

do take some test rides and whilst at the BMW shop, try the R1200RS as well. It is closer to the VFR in terms of riding position than the XR (I used to have a VFR750). I am lucky, I have an RS and an XR and whilst they have some things in common, they have very different characters when riding. I tried the Z1000SX and MT10 but the XR is the first inline 4 I have been tempted to buy this century.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2018, 12:37:16 PM »
*Originally Posted by BugCatcher [+]
Hi everyone. I've just joined. I've got a VFR800 Cross runner and now looking to get a bigger bike with a similar style. I've seen the XR and it looks amazing. I would like some views on reliability. I've seen a YouTube video where a guy was moaning about things going wrong. So does anyone have experience of the XR having any reliability issues? Thank you.

Their were some early bikes that had camshaft issues mostly turned up on the now defunct other site but not many and certainly nothing in the last 2 years or so.

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2018, 12:54:06 PM »
Just under 16000 miles on my previous XR and the only 2 things to be done was a replacement water pump which developed a tiny leak at about 12-13k I think and was replaced under warranty, other one was the battery gave up in the middle of Spain this summer at just over 2 years old

Offline BugCatcher

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2018, 08:08:08 PM »
Thanks Winger & Grizzle  :001:

Offline Spikeydog

• XR Member
  • Town: Bristol
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2018, 08:57:59 PM »
I bought a new XR in November last year, the 2018 model i believe. It developed a bad rattle in the top of the engine when i had put about 4500 mile on it. It turned out it needed a pair of camshafts due to some hardening issues in the manufacturing process. Took it back to BMW and they fixed it with no quibbles, as you would expect. About 6000 mile on it now and all is well.

Offline Becksy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2018, 08:53:36 AM »
Absolutely no issues with my XR in nearly 2 years. Admittedly it hasn’t done a shed load of miles. Have absolute confidence in it. BMW service second to none.

dysfunctional