Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Hola from Hampshire, Old England :-)  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Eunuch

• XR Junior
Hola from Hampshire, Old England :-)
« on: September 08, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »
Hi everyone.

Just picked up my 2016 Sport SE over the weekend and in the process of running it in before heading off in a week for 10 days around the Alps to Dolomites to stretch it's legs and check out its credentials in some detail  :018:.

Love the bike (as you should after forking out all that cash) and hope to get many smiles over many miles over many years.

A lot of biking history with a chunk of off road too. Happy to tour, scratch and chew the fat with likeminded people.

Look forward to talking to y'all !
Cheers, Daz
2016 S1000XR
2011 STR
2003 954RR

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Re: Hola from Hampshire, Old England :-)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 10:36:12 PM »
 :400: And greetings
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 02:10:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  Envy you the ten day ride especially to those locations!!
Post some pics of your ride if you are able.   :002:
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline RichS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Surrey
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 07:24:18 AM »
Nice one, Daz, you're gonna love this bike. :028:

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 08:09:42 AM »
Hi Dave  :400:

Just returned from the same area about 3 weeks ago.  It was a blast not too much as I had the wife on the back and the kitchen sink in the panniers but all in all it was well worth it.  Lot more nimble than my usual machine for touring {Trophy SE} but that is a couch.  Beware of Stelvio if you are heading that way as Weekend it is a traffic jam all the way up and down.  During the week not too bad but we stayed at the top and went down Italy side early in the morning 1 car and 2 scooters were all we saw.

S.
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Eunuch

• XR Junior
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 08:27:07 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome folks. Great to be here  :002:.

fgdriver, I hear you about Stelvio. It is on the list and though I avoid most of the big masses over the weekend. Flippin crazy riding them with cars, coaches and local heros all trying to get a piece of the action.

I'll be happy to share the odd photo too!
Cheers, Daz
2016 S1000XR
2011 STR
2003 954RR

Offline fgdriver

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Red
  • Town: London
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 08:42:32 AM »
Indeed we got there just after lunch stayed in the old grey hotel on the top first one as you reach the top from the Switzerland side {Easy way up} was raining so took of the bags and while she went off to facebook the days photo's I went down the Italian side to get a lay of the land.  Cars Coaches{They must be crazy} bikes and cycles all trying to get round mostly the switchbacks were being used as passing loops.  Hence our early departure next day the manager at the hotel said it is always like it.  Did not want the Helmet Video to be the back end of a car for the drop to the valley floor.

Will say Jealous of your bike collection I am only allowed 2 and the 954 is a dream.  Had a STR on a 63 plate but gave it to younger brother as his bandit needed too much work.  Waiting for the 800 version next year see if I can get an extension on the 2 bike rule would want the little faring a bit of wind protection is better than none keeps the bug splats down as well.

S.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 08:02:32 AM by fgdriver »
As Always Ride Safe.

Offline Eunuch

• XR Junior
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 04:09:43 PM »
Thanks. I have to admit being one very lucky boy. Can't justify all 3 really and in time the objective was to consolidate down to 1bike, the XR, but I'm very attached to both the STR and the Blade! These days they play on the heart strings and I know I'd regret getting rid of the 954 ..

Looking at your other posts I'm guessing your XR is shod with the stock Pirellis rather than the Bridgestones that I have? Either way, have you spent much time in the wet/cold on them and how did the fair? I'm tempted to go straight for PR4's and be done with it given I'm expecting to spend a chunk of time sub 10C and a lot of wet riding.

Would appreciate your views.

Cheers, Daz
2016 S1000XR
2011 STR
2003 954RR

Offline grnmtvt

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Essex Junction
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 12:57:24 AM »
Hardcore Micheline user here.  Came off the PR4's on the K1300 and loved them.  Was more than a bit worried that the Bridgestones wouldn't measure up and would have to switch immediately to the PR4's due to the unpredictable weather here in the Fall months.  Must say that I have been extremely surprised at the performance of the Bridgestones.  So much so that I'd consider using them again.
Many people ride.....but for a select group of people it's more than a ride....it's one of life's great passions.

Offline Eunuch

• XR Junior
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 07:39:41 AM »
*Originally Posted by grnmtvt [+]
Hardcore Micheline user here.  Came off the PR4's on the K1300 and loved them.  Was more than a bit worried that the Bridgestones wouldn't measure up and would have to switch immediately to the PR4's due to the unpredictable weather here in the Fall months.  Must say that I have been extremely surprised at the performance of the Bridgestones.  So much so that I'd consider using them again.

Thanks for the feedback. Just what I needed to hear.

I'm off Weds to the Alps so it's make or break time on the PR4 call. Sounds like I'm giving the T30's a shot.
Cheers, Daz
2016 S1000XR
2011 STR
2003 954RR