Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Throttle potentiometer failure?  (Read 754 times)

Offline zei220

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 Sport SE
  • Town: Sandbach
Throttle potentiometer failure?
« on: October 07, 2018, 10:12:48 PM »
Anyone else having problems with their bike throwing a check light and going into limp home mode? I had a failure of the throttle potentiometer in June and it seems to have failed again today

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Throttle potentiometer failure?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 02:26:17 AM »
Seems pretty rare....maybe you have a loom/connector issue rather than the throttle potentiometer itself....very unlikely for two potentiometers to fail one after the other.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 01:01:28 PM »
Not had or heard of that problem, in fact have had no problems at all with this XR or the previous one  :305:
PSH

Offline zei220

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000 Sport SE
  • Town: Sandbach
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 03:02:57 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
Not had or heard of that problem, in fact have had no problems at all with this XR or the previous one  :305:

Thats good to know.

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 03:36:40 PM »
Mine works, but I have a problem with the throttle becoming 'sticky'. When you move it slowly, it squeaks and grabs; it does not rotate smoothly. Plenty of them were replaced on GS's and it's the same assembly on the XR. If you touch the plastic housing while turning it, you can also feel the drag there.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 12:39:01 AM »
*Originally Posted by Wonger [+]
Mine works, but I have a problem with the throttle becoming 'sticky'. When you move it slowly, it squeaks and grabs; it does not rotate smoothly. Plenty of them were replaced on GS's and it's the same assembly on the XR. If you touch the plastic housing while turning it, you can also feel the drag there.

Throttle tube might be grabbing the bar itself....might pay to give it a bit of a lube..

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 06:00:17 AM »
I wish. It’s definitely in the assembly. I tried lube previously and it made no difference. Not a big deal and an easy warranty claim.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 12:26:37 AM »
I wish. It’s definitely in the assembly. I tried lube previously and it made no difference. Not a big deal and an easy warranty claim.

Fair enough..  :028:

Smithy.

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: England
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2018, 08:34:13 AM »

Mine did the same, lube made no difference. Replaced under warranty.
I did wonder if washing the bike (hosepipe sprayer) might have caused the problem, but it’s not much different to rain.
I cover the assembly now when washing the bike, see if it lasts any longer.

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2018, 02:02:50 PM »
*Originally Posted by JTL [+]
Mine did the same, lube made no difference. Replaced under warranty.
I did wonder if washing the bike (hosepipe sprayer) might have caused the problem, but it’s not much different to rain.
I cover the assembly now when washing the bike, see if it lasts any longer.

Same, although I haven't taken it back to get the new one yet. Only started after washing the bike, and I was very light around the controls. Barely touched them. I wish they'd let me just pick up the part and replace it on my own, but they won't let me since it's warranty work. Happy it's getting fixed, not happy with the lawyer-induced stupidity.