Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Battery Problems  (Read 500 times)

Offline Penpals

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
  • Town: Bruton
Battery Problems
« on: October 08, 2018, 02:24:42 PM »
I have had my bike parked up for a few weeks but kept the battery trickle charged via the BMW Optimate equivalent. Tried to start my bike yesterday and found the battery was flat. Charged it up over night but it made no difference. So have fitted a YT69 and everything working fine. My question is- can a trickle charger mess up your battery? I have never had a problem before like this and the battery was fine when I parked it up.

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Battery Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 02:42:18 PM »
I guess the BMW charger was plugged in via a canbus socket?

Possible the socket was shut-down?    If the bike is sitting in your garage, you need to:

a)  Plug in the charger to the bike with power on from the mains.
b)  Switch on the ignition for a few seconds to open the socket.

When switching off the ignition the charger should hold the socket open and keep the battery topped up.  If you switch off the charger for any reason - you will need to repeat that process.

That's my best guess, based on the information you've given.

Offline Penpals

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR
  • Town: Bruton
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 02:56:24 PM »
Many thanks. I think you have nailed the problem. I had never thought of having to switch on the ignition to open the port!

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 09:01:34 PM »
Sounds like good advice. But to be honest I use a trickle charger, but I do not use the canbus plug. I wire direct to the battery and use a plug in system. Never had any problems, and it solves having to get around the canbus system.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:49:41 PM »
Suggest you invest in a Deltran Battery Tender Junior. It comes with a pigtail with ring terminals for your battery that you can permanently install direct to the battery and leave it on your bike. When you want to charge, just hook up the charger to the pigtail and forget about it. It is fully automatic.
I plug mine in after a ride, as I dont know when I will ride that bike again as I rotate between several bikes and they all have the pigtail installed to their batteries. 
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 07:51:45 AM »
*Originally Posted by aviator [+]
Suggest you invest in a Deltran Battery Tender Junior. It comes with a pigtail with ring terminals for your battery that you can permanently install direct to the battery and leave it on your bike. When you want to charge, just hook up the charger to the pigtail and forget about it. It is fully automatic.
I plug mine in after a ride, as I dont know when I will ride that bike again as I rotate between several bikes and they all have the pigtail installed to their batteries.

I used to do that until I had a battery fall off a cliff after a 175 mile ride and it wouldn’t Start,even during the winter it’s 2/3 weeks off and then check how long it takes to a full charge but will probably go to a lithium when it’s the next battery change time.