Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Oil Level Check  (Read 3635 times)

Offline VanishPoint

• XR Junior
  • Bike: S1000XR
Oil Level Check
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:33:38 PM »
I just changed oil for the first time.  Can someone tell me the correct procedure for checking the oil level?  I added just over 3.5L of oil (with new filter) and when cold and on center stand, the sight glass is completely full, even over the top of the red circle.  When the engine is running, the oil level in sight glass is just below half, in between the red circle.  Can someone share the proper procedure for checking the oil level?  Thanks!

Online SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
Re: Oil Level Check
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 11:16:41 PM »
straight from the manual:

Engine must be at operating temp (I always check mine when I get back from a ride)
1) Make sure ground is level and firm and hold motorcycle at operating temperature vertically
2) Allow engine to run in neutral for 1 minute
3) Switch off ignition
4) Read oil level display - should eb between min and max(the little circle in the window is min and max - bottom and top)

having said the above -
I have figured where oil should be on m y bike when on the center stand.
I get back from a ride and leave her running til the fan comes on/off,
switch off the ignition, put on the center stand
wait 5 minutes and then check the level (works for me for the XR and the R on a rear paddock stand)

Offline VanishPoint

• XR Junior
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 01:52:51 AM »
I bring the bike up to operating temperature and shut it off.  Within 5 minutes, oil window fills up completely after ebbing in middle briefly.  Is this normal?  The operation manual is unclear.  Thanks, appreciate insight.

Online Watshot

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR Sp SE
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 02:18:20 AM »
Yes, that’s normal.

As SimonUK posted; The level should be checked when up to temperature and immediately after turning off. If you wait, the sight glass will fill as the oil runs down to the sump from the top of the engine.

Yours sounds about right as it’s midway between the marks when hot, which is within BMW specs (and 3.5 litres is about right). However, if you prefer to be nearer ‘max’ than ‘min’, you could top up, although it won’t take much to fill the glass.

So to summarise the manual: hot engine, idle for 1 min, turn off and check. Level should show within the circle. If you wait (or engine is cold) the glass may appear to be overfilled.  :028:

Offline VanishPoint

• XR Junior
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 03:12:25 AM »
Excellent, thank you all!

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
The reason you have to check the oil quickly their is oil in the system ie the oil cooler etc if you wait that oil drains back into the sump and will give you a false reading even my 20 year old 1100s is the same.

Gets slightly complicated because some return valves are better than others so some bikes you have seconds too check others might be 20 minutes but it will drain in the end and raise the level in the site glass.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:48:19 AM by Winger »

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 02:10:17 PM »
It does seem to be a somewhat imprecise way of checking the oil - run bike to normal operating temperature, put on centre stand on level ground, idle for 1 minute, then presumably switch off and check old level (doesn't say in the manual how quickly you need to do this). What about all the oil that will subsequently drain down thereby raising the oil level? Also when oil is a bit dirty the sight glass is often obscured from oil splashes so you cant actually see the oil.

Wouldn't it be better to calibrate the oil levels on oil at cold temperature with all oil drained to the sump?  :305:
PSH

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 06:25:49 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]

Wouldn't it be better to calibrate the oil levels on oil at cold temperature with all oil drained to the sump?  :305:

That would require a larger sump, hence the reason for not doing so.
That's what I'm thinking, anyway.
Seems to be a trend now, checking hot oil rather than cold, judging by bikes I have owned.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:28:34 PM by Nelster »

Offline Troppo

• XR Pro
  • Bike: XR
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 04:01:32 AM »
The main thing is that the oil must be at operating temp.

When the oil cools, the level drops.

If my bike has been sitting overnight on the centre stand, the level is approx 5mm lower than when hot.

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 10:03:43 AM »
This is the first time I hear that oil level is checked immediately after switching the engine off.
On all my bikes, I would warm up the engine, switch it off, wait 5 minutes for the oil to drain back to sump and check the level. And I believe this is the only correct way of checking the oil level.
Reason why it's checked when hot is that oil thickens and contracts slightly when cold, making the level appear lower than it really is.
Same goes for the cars