Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips  (Read 3542 times)

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
Heated grips
« on: October 12, 2018, 07:35:40 AM »
Yes, I know this subject has been done to death, but stay with me for a moment.

On a ride last weekend, 4 degrees C and raining, but the forecast for the Sunday was good and the B&B was booked, so we went.  Normal summer gloves and heated grips on, and here is the issue, they were fine.  Hot enough to run at 50% and for hands to be toasty warm.  I've had a series of RT, RS, KTMs etc. and there was nothing wrong with the grip performance.

Therefore, by my logic, the grips on their own must be adequate for the job and there must be something else in the system that is restricting their output for some people.

I speculate, and it is no more than that, that maybe generator output on some bikes is not enough, or something in the ECU restricts the high-load devices when there is insufficient power generation.

Anybody know of a way of testing that theory?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 07:37:13 AM by scotti »
Regards
Scotti

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Heated grips
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 09:49:34 AM »
Although - thinner gloves allow better heat-transmission from the grip to your hands.

You could always tape a decent multimeter (with inline 10A measuring capacity) in the circuit to the grips?

Or - try and borrow the much more expensive DC clamp-meter (much more than AC measuring one) and try that.

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 11:29:11 AM »
*Originally Posted by scotti [+]
Yes, I know this subject has been done to death, but stay with me for a moment.

On a ride last weekend, 4 degrees C and raining, but the forecast for the Sunday was good and the B&B was booked, so we went.  Normal summer gloves and heated grips on, and here is the issue, they were fine.  Hot enough to run at 50% and for hands to be toasty warm.  I've had a series of RT, RS, KTMs etc. and there was nothing wrong with the grip performance.

Therefore, by my logic, the grips on their own must be adequate for the job and there must be something else in the system that is restricting their output for some people.

I speculate, and it is no more than that, that maybe generator output on some bikes is not enough, or something in the ECU restricts the high-load devices when there is insufficient power generation.

Anybody know of a way of testing that theory?

What year is your bike?

My bikes grips are definitely not hot enough when its <5C and need to be on 100% <10C.

When I was at the dealer the other day I mentioned that my grips were inadequate but interestingly he said he had not had that as an issue. My bike is a 2017. Dont know if newer bikes have better grips. My 2015 XR also had poor grips.  :305:
PSH

Offline scotti

• XR Member
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
It's very curious as my '15 bike was marginal, but this '17 version is great.  Hence my comments that it must be something restricting the grip's output, rather than the grips themselves.
Regards
Scotti

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
*Originally Posted by scotti [+]
It's very curious as my '15 bike was marginal, but this '17 version is great.  Hence my comments that it must be something restricting the grip's output, rather than the grips themselves.

Could just be BMW has fitted different grips  :305:
PSH

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 11:38:43 AM »
Had my bike in March 16 think I rode with the grips on for about the first 6 weeks they are that crap ironically my K1200r I have never been able to ride with the heated grips on the higher setting they get that hot,The only solution I came up with for the X/R was a big pair of Power Bronze hand guards.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
My XR is a 2016 and the grip heating is poor. My '09 K1300S was great, with 100% setting being too warm for most situations.

There's nothing auto-limiting the XR grip current draw, the BMW rider's handbook recommends you turn them down from 100 to 50% once they've warmed-up to reduce the load on the electrical system. They auto-off if the battery is low.
Ha ha.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:28:36 PM by merlin »

Offline scotti

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 12:38:12 PM »
I think that is my point - assuming our hands and gloves are reasonably consistent, why are my grips good and yours are not.  I can't believe that BMW multi-source the grips for one model and have such variation in the supply.  Therefore what is causing the difference?
Regards
Scotti

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 12:56:29 PM »
Our hands and gloves aren't consistent, they're huge variables. Some people (like me) have hands and feet that get (or FEEL) cold very easily. The grips seem much more effective through my thin-palmed race type gloves than through my waterproof gloves (and that's just the addition of a layer of Goretex). Some gloves, like mine, have air intakes in the knuckle armour, or vented palms, some don't. The palms are usually even thinner if they're made from kangaroo skin.
If the bike had a grip auto limiter BMW wouldn't feel the need to advise you to turn the heat down when they've warmed up (the same as the K1300S), the bike would do it anyway and the handbook would tell you about the grip function (as it does for all the other clever bits).

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:11 PM »
*Originally Posted by merlin [+]
Our hands and gloves aren't consistent, they're huge variables. Some people (like me) have hands and feet that get (or FEEL) cold very easily. The grips seem much more effective through my thin-palmed race type gloves than through my waterproof gloves (and that's just the addition of a layer of Goretex). Some gloves, like mine, have air intakes in the knuckle armour, or vented palms, some don't. The palms are usually even thinner if they're made from kangaroo skin.
If the bike had a grip auto limiter BMW wouldn't feel the need to advise you to turn the heat down when they've warmed up (the same as the K1300S), the bike would do it anyway and the handbook would tell you about the grip function (as it does for all the other clever bits).

This is precisely correct. While they may not be as powerful as other bike's heated grips, they perform very will with gloves designed to be used with heated grips. Thin palm and insulation on the back of the hand. My held gloves are perfect for these grips with a Kangaroo palm.

dysfunctional