Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips  (Read 5199 times)

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Few things in life are as perfect as my XR.
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
Re: Heated grips
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 01:52:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by Wonger [+]
This is precisely correct. While they may not be as powerful as other bike's heated grips, they perform very will with gloves designed to be used with heated grips. Thin palm and insulation on the back of the hand. My held gloves are perfect for these grips with a Kangaroo palm.

With respect, the fact is that the heat from the XR grips is considerably less than many other bikes - even the GS has very hot grips - much too hot to leave on max. The type of glove palm you have only mitigates what is without doubt a very poor and inadequate design.  :305:
PSH

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 02:05:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by scotti [+]
I think that is my point - assuming our hands and gloves are reasonably consistent, why are my grips good and yours are not.  I can't believe that BMW multi-source the grips for one model and have such variation in the supply.  Therefore what is causing the difference?

I have the the theory that, we are all very different when it comes to heat, cold, Vibrations. I personally do not ride in the worst of Winter, and so I cannot say what the grips are like then. But I do use the heated grips at the start of the year, and I find them more than adequate
Plus my bike does not suffer from vibes, now that may be down to me not feeling them, or the bike not producing them. And as I have never ridden another XR, I cannot answer that question. But I do not use winter gloves at any time, so maybe my hands do not feel the cold or vibes as much as others.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline scotti

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE Sport
  • Town: Teesside
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
Excellent, so we are saying that there is nothing wrong with the bike, it is us that is the problem.  We're either insensitive/too sensitive or wear the wrong gloves.

I'm glad I don't design bikes for a living! :008:
Regards
Scotti

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 04:52:47 PM »
 :005: That's the answer, blame the rider the bike is peeeerfect.. :211: :211: :002:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 05:34:10 PM »
*Originally Posted by scotti [+]
Excellent, so we are saying that there is nothing wrong with the bike, it is us that is the problem.  We're either insensitive/too sensitive or wear the wrong gloves.

No, we're saying the bike isn't right but it affects us all differently, according to how our bodies react and what we're wearing.
For some it's OK, for some it's not. Work around it, or don't.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 05:35:52 PM by merlin »

Offline esso_sa

• XR Member
  • Town: Sarajevo
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 09:46:17 AM »
Few months ago, on the other forum (perhaps s1000xr.com ?, can't remember really) a guy did a test of XR's heated grips. He owned both XR and GS, so he swapped the grips from his GS to XR, tried them, and they were significantly less warm on XR. So, it's not the grips. Only explanation for this is that the XR's alternator has less max power output than the GS, so the current to the grips on the XR is probably limited at some point, making them less effective

Online bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2018, 11:57:09 AM »
Heated grips are rubbish, so much so I bought heated gloves.

Offline Karlb

• XR Pro
  • My Life is a Blur
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Crockett, TX
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »
It has to be the ecu cutting power to the grips if it isn’t the grips themselves, power output from the alt. Isn’t an issue, I’ve have had lots of bmws with heated grips bricks,slants and boxers. The XR grips are the only one that is worthless. But the alternator output is in the same area as all the others and higher than some. Heck the K12S even had servo brakes drawing down on it and it’s grips were hot.

As a side note a few weeks ago when my battery was failing my grips started auto on the last couple times the bike started. First time thought maybe I had bumped the button but second time it happened I def did not turn them in yet they were on high on start up. (It was in the 80s f)
2016 Red Sled

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2018, 05:10:17 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Heated grips are rubbish, so much so I bought heated gloves.

I bought heated gloves last year and took them back - couldn't stand all the cables - they weren't that hot either  :305:
PSH

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2018, 06:31:26 PM »
The mystery is solved - some folk complain that the grips are not hot enough (like me) and others say that theirs are fine. Went to the BMW stand at Motorcycle Live today and talked to the tech guy who advised that the grips were upgraded for 2017 for some bikes and all new bikes now have the hotter grips. Although my bike was a 2017 I must have got the crap grips as mine are not hot enough and no better than the previous 2015 bike that I had previously.

Other than that he advised that there were no technical changes for the 2019 XR other than you can now have a black one. I told him that some updates for the XR are long overdue.  :305:
PSH

dysfunctional