Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Heated grips  (Read 5211 times)

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
Re: Heated grips
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2018, 06:57:20 PM »
*Originally Posted by PaulS1000XR [+]
The mystery is solved - some folk complain that the grips are not hot enough (like me) and others say that theirs are fine. Went to the BMW stand at Motorcycle Live today and talked to the tech guy who advised that the grips were upgraded for 2017 for some bikes and all new bikes now have the hotter grips. Although my bike was a 2017 I must have got the crap grips as mine are not hot enough and no better than the previous 2015 bike that I had previously.

Other than that he advised that there were no technical changes for the 2019 XR other than you can now have a black one. I told him that some updates for the XR are long overdue.  :305:
Meh, my 18 plate grips are no where as hot as previous BMWs I've had. My heated gloves will get more use this winter methinks.
\v/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 06:57:56 PM by 1964Hall »
\v/ince

Offline Speedy

• XR Pro
  • Town: Atlanta
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2018, 03:15:45 PM »
On the '18 I just returned, the grips were super hot.  To me, the setting were Bake and Broil.  Even with puppies on, the "low" setting was plenty except for extreme cold...I don't ride under 30F so was never going to be an issue had I kept the bike.
2018 BMW S1000XR Ocean Blue - Current
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 Matte Grey - Current
2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400 Black - Sold
2001 Honda CBR 929 - Sold

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2018, 03:27:08 PM »
Weird, I wonder why some are different. I've a suspicion mine turn down if it thinks battery draw is on the high side.
My S1kr was fine with Grip puppies on as well.
\v/
\v/ince

Offline lboucher

• XR Junior
  • Bike: s1000xr 19
  • Town: Saratoga
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2018, 06:54:20 PM »
Meh, my 18 plate grips are no where as hot as previous BMWs I've had. My heated gloves will get more use this winter methinks.

My 2019 grips are nowhere as warm as the after market Oxford grips I have on my Ninja 650 commuter.  They get warm enough that I rarely have them past 50%, but I can barely tell the grips on the S1000XR are on at 100%.  I don't think that the updated grips is the answer, at least my 2019 doesn't indicate that.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2018, 06:59:01 PM »
I think we need to kick up more of a fuss at the dealers about this. I know a lot of bikes are parked up over winter but the clue is in what they are advertised as heated grips not luke warm grips.
I for one will be asking my dealer to test volts output to grips at next service in a month or so.
\v/
\v/ince

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 09:58:59 AM »
I checked the part numbers for '16 (mine) and '18 bikes (lots of others) on RealOEM, the later ones are different, specifically listed as 5.5 ohm. The alternator, regulator and cable harness to the grips etc are the same. So, the supply to the grips is essentially the same, but the grip heater elements are clearly a different resistance.
I'm going to my local dealer tomorrow to pick up my Navigator security lock bits and I'll raise the subject.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 10:02:39 AM by merlin »

Offline JTL

• XR Pro
  • Town: England
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2018, 02:28:36 PM »
Just to add to the confusion.  I was out in 5°C last week.  The grips on high were too hot for me through a pair of Autumn/Spring type waterproof gloves.
I have to alternate between high and low settings as low is not quite warm enough.  I'd like a 3rd intermediate setting.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
*Originally Posted by merlin [+]
I checked the part numbers for '16 (mine) and '18 bikes (lots of others) on RealOEM, the later ones are different, specifically listed as 5.5 ohm. The alternator, regulator and cable harness to the grips etc are the same. So, the supply to the grips is essentially the same, but the grip heater elements are clearly a different resistance.
I'm going to my local dealer tomorrow to pick up my Navigator security lock bits and I'll raise the subject.
Aha, by chance is that CW's? I ordered my Nav lock kit as well and they said it's the second one they've ordered this week. Not to go off topic but I'll be 3D printing my spacers, maybe incorporating a mount for the camera.
be interested to here what they say about different grip options and why the different Ohms on later ones.
\v/
\v/ince

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2018, 05:46:57 PM »
Yes CW.....
I don't actually think the different grips are options, it was a change of spec. I only checked 2016 and 2018 so I don't know when BMW altered them. You have to make sure you say whether you have CC etc as there a few variants, certainly in the throttle side. I assume the position potentiometer is different for CC. I compared my 2016 bike's spec (everything) on RealOEM to the same for 2018. The earlier grips must have a higher resistance.

As for the sat nav mount, I'll probably try it as-is. I'm not fussed if I have to swivel it a bit to get the key in for the odd occasions I use it at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 05:53:00 PM by merlin »

Offline Josty

• XR Junior
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Mount Laurel, NJ
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 08:46:04 PM »
*Originally Posted by Karlb [+]
It has to be the ecu cutting power to the grips if it isn’t the grips themselves, power output from the alt. Isn’t an issue, I’ve have had lots of bmws with heated grips bricks,slants and boxers. The XR grips are the only one that is worthless. But the alternator output is in the same area as all the others and higher than some. Heck the K12S even had servo brakes drawing down on it and it’s grips were hot.

That is my theory as well.  I think the CAN bus current sensor is too sensitive and shuts down the grips periodically.  I want to put a voltage meter on it to check what's going on but haven't gotten to it yet. The other thing to try would be putting a little more resistance in series and see if that makes a difference.