Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Nav 6 Setup  (Read 912 times)

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
Nav 6 Setup
« on: October 14, 2018, 06:21:13 AM »
Hi Folks,

Not sure if this belongs in this section...

I coughed up for the Nav 6 when I bought the XR as I already had a Sena 30k and figured it would be handy. I have found the documentation etc for the Nav 6 to be rubbish and when searching Dr Google the net is littered with old posts from when the Garmin software wasn’t as mature and often features were not functioning correctly.

My experience has been mostly good as i have paired my Iphone 7 Plus and headset to the Nav 6 and it has mostly just worked. I can get GPS, phone calls and stream music from the phone through the Nav 6 no problem. i can even skip tracks using the jog wheel which is cool.

As usual its the small details i am struggling to find an answer to.

I prefer to keep the GPS voice muted and just look at the Nav 6 screen as required but I discovered today this also seems to mute phone calls through the headset when making or receiving calls. Is there a way to mute the GPS but not phone calls? I have had no joy so far and obviously if a call comes in its a bit of a PITA to try and unmute the GPS before accepting the call.

Also i ponied up for the ‘safety’ camera notifications which works fine but it seems that as default it notifies you of wherever someone has reported a mobile speed camera at some point and notifies constantly about potential cameras that may or may not be there as they were reported who knows how long ago. Is there a way to filter to just fixed speed and red light cameras? I cant find a way. It may be the way it is and I might just have to disable it locally so it doesn’t become a pain in the ass.

All first world problems I realise but I figure other forum members may have gone through the same learning curve and can shed some light.

Also interested if anyone has found a better connection method through trial and error.

Any input is appreciated.

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
Re: Nav 6 Setup
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:18:19 AM »
My setup is Nav6 connected to my Scala G4 alone, so much of this is pure assumption, but it may work for you.

From the main screen (Where To? and View Map)  select Volume, then the spanner symbol (top left) then Audio Mixer.  Here you should be able to set the volume of Navigation, Phone and Media independently.  If you decrease Navigation to the lowest setting, I assume this would mute the turn by turn directions and proximity alerts, but leave your phone and audio stream alone.

To mute the turn by turn directions and leave the proximity alerts on, select volume as before, and un-tick Automatic voice prompts.

To mute the proximity alerts and leave the turn by turn directions on, from the main screen select Settings, then scroll down to Proximity Alerts, then Audio, then select Off.

I don't believe there is any way to mute the mobile camera locations and alert only the fixed camera locations.  Personally I'm happy to receive a 'ding' for any potential camera locations so I can keep an eye out for those pesky vans :038:.

The other approach would be to connect your Nav6 and phone to your 30K and use the audio-multitasking of the 30K to mute the Nav as required.  There is a very recent firmware update for the 30K which I believe adds audio-multitasking with BT devices to the 30K.  Previously I believe audio-multitasking was restricted to another mesh device and a BT device rather than multiple BT devices.  I was thinking of getting the 20S evo, but knowing about the firmware update, I'm now thinking of getting the 30K instead.

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 10:45:53 AM »
I don't have the Nav 6, but a Zumo 595. The directions quoted above all work the same way for me too. I have my iPhone paired to the GPS and an iPod hardwired to it. Then the GPS blue toothed to the helmet. However, you should be able to set up your headset so that it automatically mutes directions and music whenever a phone call is received and remain muted throughout your call. Once the call is finished, it automatically reverts back to the previous settings. I'm not sure if I set that up via my laptop or whether it's done through the GPS.

Hope that helps.

Mally

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 11:16:39 AM »
*Originally Posted by Newy1000 [+]
Hi Folks,

Not sure if this belongs in this section...

I coughed up for the Nav 6 when I bought the XR as I already had a Sena 30k and figured it would be handy. I have found the documentation etc for the Nav 6 to be rubbish and when searching Dr Google the net is littered with old posts from when the Garmin software wasn’t as mature and often features were not functioning correctly.

My experience has been mostly good as i have paired my Iphone 7 Plus and headset to the Nav 6 and it has mostly just worked. I can get GPS, phone calls and stream music from the phone through the Nav 6 no problem. i can even skip tracks using the jog wheel which is cool.

As usual its the small details i am struggling to find an answer to.

I prefer to keep the GPS voice muted and just look at the Nav 6 screen as required but I discovered today this also seems to mute phone calls through the headset when making or receiving calls. Is there a way to mute the GPS but not phone calls? I have had no joy so far and obviously if a call comes in its a bit of a PITA to try and unmute the GPS before accepting the call.

Also i ponied up for the ‘safety’ camera notifications which works fine but it seems that as default it notifies you of wherever someone has reported a mobile speed camera at some point and notifies constantly about potential cameras that may or may not be there as they were reported who knows how long ago. Is there a way to filter to just fixed speed and red light cameras? I cant find a way. It may be the way it is and I might just have to disable it locally so it doesn’t become a pain in the ass.

All first world problems I realise but I figure other forum members may have gone through the same learning curve and can shed some light.

Also interested if anyone has found a better connection method through trial and error.

Any input is appreciated.

I think that the features that you describe are probably as good as it gets. I prefer to focus more on riding the bike and rarely bother with phone calls or music.  :305:
PSH

Offline Newy1000

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2018, 11:50:53 AM »
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Great tip on the sound mixer. Oddly i can alter the media and navigation volumes but the phone slider is greyed out. In the bluetooth settings the phone is ticked on for phone calls/smartphone link/media and i can view my phonebook etc. but the sound isn’t coming through my headset when taking/receiving calls and i am thinking this must be the issue.

Tried unpairing and repairing the phone but its the same. Its odd as mentioned it streams from the phone to the headset perfectly but phone calls seem to be an issue. Its always something with these toys isn’t it...

The camera thing isn’t a dealbreaker and i am sure i will get used to it.  Better to have too much info than not enough...!

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2018, 12:02:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by Newy1000 [+]
Thanks for the responses. Much appreciated.

Great tip on the sound mixer. Oddly i can alter the media and navigation volumes but the phone slider is greyed out. In the bluetooth settings the phone is ticked on for phone calls/smartphone link/media and i can view my phonebook etc. but the sound isn’t coming through my headset when taking/receiving calls and i am thinking this must be the issue.

Tried unpairing and repairing the phone but its the same. Its odd as mentioned it streams from the phone to the headset perfectly but phone calls seem to be an issue. Its always something with these toys isn’t it...

The camera thing isn’t a dealbreaker and i am sure i will get used to it.  Better to have too much info than not enough...!

I put my songs on an SD card inserted in the phone which works well and dont play songs from the phone  :305:
PSH

dysfunctional