Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Advice Please - lift / Dolly / Stand....  (Read 1070 times)

Offline jgk1459

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE
Advice Please - lift / Dolly / Stand....
« on: October 23, 2018, 10:58:21 AM »
Morning all,

I need some advice please......

I want / need a compact bike lift / stand for my XR, something small so not a full on table and something that will allow maintenance and to move the bike around the garage.

I've seen the Abba lift - looks good but a bit too spendy for me, the Warrior Spider is a cheaper version with less functions (not sure if it works with the XR though) or a basic centre stand dolly??

Anyone with any recommendations, experience or thoughts?

Cheers

jk

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
Re: Advice Please - lift / Dolly / Stand....
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 12:49:00 PM »
I’ve fitted Akra headers and had the rear shock out all with just the center stand but when I want to do the same with my K1200 I have to use an Abba stand the ABBA option(for the K)is probably the only one that is not generic and is a one off where as for all other bikes one stand fits all and you just buy the fitting kit.

I’d be looking to buy secondhand for stand(assuming it fits) and then buy a fitting kit from Abba,i’m Not a great fan I have to say they a little cumbersome but they do work very and stable.

Offline Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2018, 01:26:37 PM »
I sold my warrior stand, not because it was no good. But I found because the floor of my workshop was not really smooth. Then it was hard to move around. I now have an EAZY RIZER, no good for moving around once its in the up position. But it does give you the opportunity,
to lift from either the wheels. If you want to remove panels ect, to work on the engine. Or there are various other fittings that you can use, to lift from the engine / Frame. If you want to remove the forks , Wheels , rear suspension or swing arm. Great bit of kit for the workshop and it lifts the bike up to waist height, so make's it easy to work on.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2018, 04:54:16 PM »
I've had an Abba stand for a few years. They told me they didn't do an adapter kit for the superbike stand and the only one they had was the sky lift.
It looks a very good stand but at well over £400 I decided to look around
The one I went for in the end was a 1Jac lift and at the time was under £300
There was a lot of stuff on the web slating 1Jac from a while ago. Saw it at the NEC and decided to buy It's a bit fiddly to get the plate set up but once you do then it is very good. Substantially well made,stable and can be wheeled around if need be.
My main needs were to be able to remove both wheels for tyre changes and storage over the salty, snowy, icy months
I don't have a need to lift the bike into the positions that the Abba skylift can

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2018, 04:56:20 PM »
more pics

Offline jgk1459

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2018, 05:45:53 PM »
Thanks for the advice.

Interesting comment Bree - re: smooth floor. My garage has a concrete floor but not completely smooth so the idea of moving the bike around might be a non-starter.

Grizzle - is the 1Jac OK over a slightly uneven floor?

I could just try a standard dolly under the centre stand - I'd obviously lose the lifting capability but at least I could move the bike around. Also not laying out £300 'at risk'!

Cheers.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2018, 06:13:06 PM »
A lot depends on how big your garage is but if being able to move the bike on what ever device you buy try a full sized sheet of ply on the floor,i’ve Got my garage floored with interlocking foam tiles but I still stand all the bike on very thick ply although not a full sized sheet like you would need.

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2018, 06:44:57 PM »
I don't move it around in the garage as it is on carpet and it is difficult to move as the weight sinks it a little
It moves OK on tarmac drive
The lift is very stable and for storing, cleaning and wheel removal it works for me but you would have to decide what you's use it for
Due to storage cabinets in my garage I couldn't spin it around anyway  :008:

Offline Belco100

• XR Member
  • Bike: XR SE Sport
  • Town: Essex
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 09:51:43 AM »
*Originally Posted by Winger [+]
... i’ve Got my garage floored with interlocking foam tiles but I still stand all the bike on very thick ply although not a full sized sheet like you would need ...

:450:   But interested in which tiles you put down? Just refurbed my garage and looking at the options to cover up a bit of a rubbish floor?

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »