Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: 10 per cent ethanol fuel and the BMW S1000XR  (Read 3317 times)

Offline warm-feet

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Southampton
10 per cent ethanol fuel and the BMW S1000XR
« on: October 24, 2018, 12:48:50 PM »
It was announced yesterday that some petrol in the UK would consist of 10% ethanol. How would this affect the S1000XR? I understand that BMW only allow for a maximum of 10% ethanol in the petrol. Could this be costly in that engine damage may well occur?

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
Re: 10 per cent ethanol fuel and the BMW S1000XR
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 01:18:34 PM »
I'd assume if BMW say up to 10% is OK then 10% is OK. 10% ethanol is common in the US and Europe. Your fuel consumption will increase a bit (about 3% for a 10% blend according to Wikipedia) as ethanol contains less energy per unit volume than gasoline (thanks to Wiki again).

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 01:38:03 PM »
If the tank was on the outside with stickers on it then the hassle would be the tank breathing the old 955 Tiger is notorious for bubbling the stickers,the Americans on here will have loads more info because of how much is in their fuel and it has caused all sorts of hassle with the like of Ducati with plastic tanks.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 01:51:01 PM »
Tank swelling and not being able to refit it it when you remove it can be a problem. This is an issue on Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono's

Offline Wonger

• XR Member
  • Bike: '18 S1000XR
  • Town: Fayetteville, GA
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 02:01:32 PM »
Any ethanol in fuel isn't great long-term because ethanol absorbs water. Period.

That said, if you are using the fuel within a reasonable amount of time, you will get exactly the results posted above. A 3% loss in mileage due to less energy in the fuel and that's about it. The US sees 10% ethanol fuel an most all of the fuel available at the pump. There is a resolution being pushed currently to bump it up to 15%, which most enthusiasts frown upon, me included. The blends of ethanol/gas/detergents changes during the seasons due to temperature changes, and the resolution would allow an increase to 15% year-round. 85% ethanol is an option in many states and it burns a little cleaner, but you see a significant mileage decrease when using it. Some high performance tuners like e85 as you can pump in incredible amounts of fuel while running it and see massive power gains.

If you begin to use a 10% ethanol fuel and you haven't previously used it. The only thing you need to consider is, "How long will the fuel remain in the system?"
If it's an extended period of time, add an ethanol fuel treatment to the fuel (common for power tools/lawn mowers etc.). If you're going to burn through it in a week or two, no change at all. 

Online Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2018, 04:00:58 PM »
*Originally Posted by bazzer [+]
Tank swelling and not being able to refit it it when you remove it can be a problem. This is an issue on Aprilia RSV4 and Tuono's

Oh blimey yes I’ve left the tank off my 955 Tiger for a couple weeks and it a nightmare to refit currently have work to do on it and it’s never off for more than a few hours the X/R and the K series tank are near identical in fitting plain black plastic just slip onto rubber bungs on the front bolted at the back so no big deal if there’s some movement with it.

Offline Forum Admin

• XR Administrator
  • XR Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2018, 04:27:42 PM »
It was announced yesterday that some petrol in the UK would consist of 10% ethanol

Out of interest where did you hear that from, can't seem to find it.

Online Bree

• XR God
  • Bike: S1000XR
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2018, 04:42:15 PM »
I use Millers EPS Ethanol protection additive. If The bike is standing for any length of time, or at least once every couple of weeks when the bike is being used. It is only good for up to E10, but that covers most of Europe and the UK, at the moment.
Started using this with my Benelli Tornado as they are notorious for the tank Swelling, due to the  Ethanol content..
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline warm-feet

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Southampton
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2018, 05:10:32 PM »
The announcement was on the BBC News Website.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 06:12:05 PM »
Am I wrong in thinking that 15% ethanol fuel is available in France?

I would always go for the least ethanol content, but will look into that additive

dysfunctional