Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Givi alu rack weigh limit 6kg!  (Read 2299 times)

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
Givi alu rack weigh limit 6kg!
« on: October 25, 2018, 07:31:42 PM »
I didn't realise this until I had it on the bike.
Thought I weigh my 55ltr Givi box with just a few things inside like spare gloves, ect. Turned up at 5kgs.
Not very usfull that.
Anyone run one of these, what weights have you got away with?
\v/
\v/ince

Offline Mally

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Nr Milton Keynes
Re: Givi alu rack weigh limit 6kg!
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
It always surprises me when I see what these weight limits for top boxes and panniers are. I go to Thailand a lot and over there you see little 125cc bikes running round with a family of 4 on board or others carrying god knows what. I've known someone have a 3 piece suite delivered and it turned up on a couple of these little bikes!  :005:
There are a few guys (and girls, dont want to be sexist!) who are, shall we say, a little bit more than a few kilos over their ideal weight, so what is the big deal on a few kilos either side of your rear wheel?  :155:

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2018, 08:39:34 PM »
I think it's the load on the rack not the bike they're concerned about.
Having said that I'm sure they're very conservative and you could carry more with no issues.

There are lots of very experienced touring guys and girls on here who will know more than I do....

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »
Thanks for your comments, I used the same top box on my F800gt well loaded on more than a few occasions. Although my set for work trips now is a roll bag across the seat for heavier stuff and the top box for lighter.
I imagine it's also taking into account that 6kgs on the rack, then hitting large bump in the road like road humps would increase the force somewhat on the rack.
Be good to hear what other users are loading at without problems.
\v/
\v/ince

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2018, 09:58:19 PM »
I have the SW-Motech alu rack which states max 7.5kg if I remember correctly, including the box. I've got aTrax (SW-M) 38L alu top box which isn't exctly what you'd call light when thinking of the load limit.
I've never weighed it to find out but I'm also never concerned with what I put in it to be worried about it, be it stuff for a couple of days away or loading it with essentials like beer, plus my usual stash of disc lock and crap that finds it's way in there.
I find it rattles, but I think it sounds worse than it is because it's alu. Never had a disaster on this or previous bikes.
Always chuckle when i think of a mates story about being overtaken by his top box.
Think about the extension off the back and shock loading on bumps at speed, that's why you have what seem like conservative load limits. I wince when I see some slim nakeds and sports bikes fitted with boxes they are not designed for that hang a long way off the back of any subframe structure. That's when you can expect snapped subframes.
And just because you CAN balance a medium size family or washing machine on the back, doesn't mean you should.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2018, 10:20:36 PM by Nelster »

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 05:04:41 AM »
I've had my Mrs's full riding kit (helment, jacket, pants and gloves) several times in a 55l givi trekker topbox and it was fine.
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 09:30:42 AM »
*Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman [+]
I've had my Mrs's full riding kit (helment, jacket, pants and gloves) several times in a 55l givi trekker topbox and it was fine.

Most ladies pants don't weigh much.

Oh, not those, sorry....

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2018, 09:44:28 AM »
I have also strapped a 30L Kreiga to the top of my topbox, so would deffo have gone over 6Kg I would think. Not a massive amount but still over 6Kg

Offline Patrick Bateman

• XR Pro
  • Bike: K1600GTL & ZX10R
  • Town: Sydney
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2018, 10:05:07 AM »
You sound like an expert on ladies pants Merlo.
I need to return some videotapes.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2018, 10:11:34 AM »
I must admit to having some severely-loaded top boxes on some bikes.     Usually justified with a muttering of “I’m sure it will be fine” to myself.   :164:

Worst result was a cracked 3rd party adaptor plate on a GSA rear rack, which may or may not have been caused by overloading.

Also had a Givi topbox plate secured to a surplus pillion pad, used once - but realised that although it was lighter than a pillion passenger - the recoil momentum placing the pad latches in tension, was the weak link.   I had visions of the topbox and pillion pad getting ripped off  :156:

dysfunctional