Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What Tyres to try?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline HUDDSXR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Huddersfield
What Tyres to try?
« on: October 31, 2018, 10:25:33 PM »
Hi Everyone.

Previous bikes have been Yamaha TDM900 BMW K1200R BMW K130S and now..
Got my Sport SE back in March and had the best summer for a long time with plenty of trips around Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Wales.
Checking the bike over last weekend and saw that the rear tyre was getting low Bridgestone Battlax T30R just over 1mm  The front only has just under 3mm, so replacing front and rear is not far off. Previously I have been tempted to put the Michelin Road Pilot tyres on for better mileage. I don't need super sticky tyres and I haven't had an urge or need to even look at a knee slider, let alone try one on!
I just wondered what other riders put on as replacement sets.

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Brisvegas.
Re: What Tyres to try?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 11:21:55 PM »
The new Michelin Road-5 is worth a run. They're not called "Pilot" anymore. Good mileage and good grip, exceptional in the wet too.
TBH, most of the new generation S/T tyres are very good these days.
Smithy. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 11:22:46 PM by smithy »
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline HUDDSXR

• XR Junior
  • Bike: BMW S1000XR
  • Town: Huddersfield
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 12:03:09 AM »
Cheers smithy

I think I will give the Michelins a try. 

Sorry for posting in the wrong place guys

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: St. Helens
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2018, 01:05:06 PM »
Last time I changed the set I stayed with Michelin road pilot 3 because they were a load cheaper and because my name isn’t Guy Martin I wasn’t convinced that paying the premium for the latest version was something I could really notice any difference?!?

*Originally Posted by HUDDSXR [+]
Cheers smithy

I think I will give the Michelins a try. 

Sorry for posting in the wrong place guys
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2018, 01:32:35 PM »
*Originally Posted by MR-TiGGer [+]
Last time I changed the set I stayed with Michelin road pilot 3 because they were a load cheaper and because my name isn’t Guy Martin I wasn’t convinced that paying the premium for the latest version was something I could really notice any difference?!?

I have used this logic to use Avon Storm 3 XD on my R1200RS rather than the more recently developed Avon Spirit. £180 a pair fitted at Chris Mullins in Gloucester.

My XR currently has Bridgestone Tsummat but if the Avon 3D are still available at that price next year when a change is needed then I will use them on the XR. 

Added benefit if being made just down the road in Wiltshire so nice to support localish industry.

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: St. Helens
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2018, 01:54:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
Added benefit if being made just down the road in Wiltshire so nice to support localish industry.

That old factory in Melksham still going?😳
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2018, 04:07:14 PM »
*Originally Posted by MR-TiGGer [+]
That old factory in Melksham still going?😳

For now. The parent is Cooper from USA. The bike tyres are still UK made but I bought some Avon car tyres which were made in Serbia. Avon UK might survive as a niche supplier in bike tyres, classic tyres and maybe race tyres but as recent Michelin closures show, making mass market car tyres is not economic in the UK.

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2018, 07:25:55 PM »
*Originally Posted by wessie [+]
I have used this logic to use Avon Storm 3 XD on my R1200RS rather than the more recently developed Avon Spirit. £180 a pair fitted at Chris Mullins in Gloucester.

My XR currently has Bridgestone Tsummat but if the Avon 3D are still available at that price next year when a change is needed then I will use them on the XR. 

I've used thos XM storms on a couple of bikes. I was thinking about them when mine wear out in a month or two.
\v/
\v/ince

Offline wascallyrabbit

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: King George, VA
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 01:15:32 AM »
I like the dunlop roadsmart 3's but thinking of trying the road 5's next.

Offline MelbXR

• XR Member
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 09:35:35 PM »
Put the road 5 on mine a few thousand ks ago, so far I reckon they're the best all rounders I've tried on this bike.

Let's see how long they last though....