Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What Tyres to try?  (Read 3176 times)

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
Re: What Tyres to try?
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2019, 02:08:24 PM »
I am on the third 01 rear now and I have found they square off quite quickly and but then hang in there for ages. So you have a less than great profile for more of the life of the tyre.

So I think I am going to go back to something softer now, I might try the M7RR next. Unless I am doing a trip over 3K miles (which I did this year) I think I will bang on a new set of softer tyres before I go.

Edited to add

On the whole they are a good tyre, warm up quick work well cold and have a lot of grip.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 02:10:03 PM by bazzer »

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: South Coast
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 02:08:32 PM »
Road 5's or as some people refer to them Pilot Road 5's, but Michelin have officially dropped the Pilot  and just call them Road 5's, apparently people were getting confused with the Pilot series car tyres...

Offline 1964Hall

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000 XR 18
  • Town: Salisbury'ish
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2019, 02:12:00 PM »
Thought so, as it's on my list in a month or so I wonder what mileage people are getting out of them. Run my bike all year round so need some longevity as well as wet weather grip.
\v/
\v/ince

Online advr6

• XR Member
  • Town: Burlington
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2019, 03:11:13 PM »
If you can understand German there's a good video on sport touring tyres at mopedreifen.de

To summarize their verdict Conti RA3 best sporty tyre, PR5 close second.  R01 great allround and foul weather / low temp tyre.  T31 great for 2 up and high speed stability.

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2019, 04:55:26 PM »
Interesting, and I would go along with their findings on both the 01s & the Conti Ra3. Cannot comment on the others as I have never tried them. But I would give a big thumbs up, for the 01s as the best all round tyre. Many thanks for the Information.... :305: :305: :305:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2019, 05:01:36 PM »
*Originally Posted by Bree [+]
I would give a big thumbs up, for the 01s as the best all round tyre.....

I always find round tyres give the best ride quality.....
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:02:24 PM by merlin »

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2019, 05:06:03 PM »
 :745: :745:   :002:
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline barnsyuk

• XR Member
  • Town: South Coast
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2019, 04:19:24 PM »
Well I managed to find some round Michelin R5's and had them fitted last Friday. First off I would like to say the Angel Gt's that are coming off the bike were on their last legs with just over 5200 miles of mixed riding (touring and scratching) on them, they still had good shape  and not really squared off at all, the 50 mile ride to the tyre  (that's tire for you yanks) shop was on wet greasy roads and the GT's were still good. Now after fitting the new R5's the roads were still wet and greasy and the bike was of course covered in dirt and grime so decided to take the long way back. Technician at the tyre shop said there was no need to really scrub them in as the factory now removes all the releasing agent and other nasty stuff but he advised I still take it easy for the first 50 miles just in case...I love fitting new tyres, the bike feels like it's brand new and you never realise how #### the old tyres are till you fit new ones. Well over this weekend I've done well over 200 miles, mainly on wet, salty, slippery roads and first impressions of the R5's is good. They do seem to be more giving over the bumps and pot holes, they grip well in the shitty conditions and have only slipped where any other tyre would have i.e. on metal man hole covers and muddy corners (damn farm tractors leaving deposits on the road). Not really pushed them on a dry road but the few dry corners I got round the tyres seemed to roll in predictably, gave me feedback and built confidence. As for braking I didn't have to jump on the brakes at any time this weekend but again the tyres worked.

Bottom line, at the moment they feel very similar to the Angels but maybe a little better on greasy roads and if they last another 5k I'll be happy. I know tyres are a personal taste and we are all different, but they are like women, you got to try different ones every now and again, at least they won't divorce you for trying.

Maybe got some pictures here of old and new.

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2019, 04:40:28 PM »
Similar to Angels  :005: I borrowed a KTM GT for 3 weeks off a mate during the good weather it had 2000 miles on the clock  with godforsaken Pirelli Angels the phone conversation went along the lines of How the F@@@ do you ride the bike with these on I put Mich 5's on and it transformed it I've had previous with Angels they also went in the bin at 600 miles but hey each too his own  :002:,the Mich's were great and I don't normally use e'm(Michs) and yea I also found they required zero scrubbing in.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2019, 04:46:18 PM »
I read the Angel GT are a major improvement over the original Angel, good reports from many sources. That's an impressive wear profile on those, barnsy....

I also had a glowing report on the Road 5 from an XR owner I met at CW on Friday.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 04:47:25 PM by merlin »