Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Chain adjustment , Modes  (Read 4954 times)

Offline PJP

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE SPORT
  • Town: Worcester
Chain adjustment , Modes
« on: September 13, 2015, 05:14:04 PM »
Hi, just bought my XR, 2 months old 3k on the clock. The chain looks pretty slack, seems in line with the 45mm guidance but my riding mate says he can hear it slapping when I change gear, does anyone run it nearer 35 mm ?
Second question, the bike is a SE Sport, does this mean it has Dynamic Pro, I have read about inserting a plug for this mode ?.? thanks

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
Re: Chain adjustment , Modes
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 06:00:37 PM »
*Originally Posted by PJP [+]
Hi, just bought my XR, 2 months old 3k on the clock. The chain looks pretty slack, seems in line with the 45mm guidance but my riding mate says he can hear it slapping when I change gear, does anyone run it nearer 35 mm ?
Second question, the bike is a SE Sport, does this mean it has Dynamic Pro, I have read about inserting a plug for this mode ?.? thanks

Did you get a plug with the bike ( In the plastic folder thing ) if not no Dynamic pro

As for the chain there should be 45mm of play from bottom of sag to top when the bike is on side stand
if you over tighten you will just stretch it further, cause tight spots and then have to replace it
Cleaning and lubing is the key
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline PJP

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR SE SPORT
  • Town: Worcester
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:08:59 PM »
Thanks, no plug as far as I know, will have another look. Is it true that the Pro Mode is for track use not road ? The bikes pretty awesome in road mode so heaven knows what the Pro would be like.
Thanks also for the chain advice, I assumed that it said 45mm for a reason, just looked slacker than anything else I have had,

Offline Redrick

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S 1000 XR SE
  • Town: The death Star
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 06:15:44 PM »
*Originally Posted by PJP [+]
Thanks, no plug as far as I know, will have another look. Is it true that the Pro Mode is for track use not road ? The bikes pretty awesome in road mode so heaven knows what the Pro would be like.
Thanks also for the chain advice, I assumed that it said 45mm for a reason, just looked slacker than anything else I have had,

Road is good, Dynamic is brilliant and Dynamic pro is just mental and scary lol

I have it and doubt i will use it much as I have said before having to shut off because the wheel is vertical at 80 plus or the back is sliding further than is good is not the fastest way ( bloody good fun though)
You tell me how fast I was going Officer !

Offline gr8ridn

• XR Member
  • Bike: 2016 S1000XR
  • Town: Wofford Heights
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2015, 03:25:31 AM »
*Originally Posted by Redrick [+]
Did you get a plug with the bike ( In the plastic folder thing ) if not no Dynamic pro

As for the chain there should be 45mm of play from bottom of sag to top when the bike is on side stand
if you over tighten you will just stretch it further, cause tight spots and then have to replace it
Cleaning and lubing is the key

Too tight of a chain can cause binding as the suspension compresses as stated. This could be tough on the chain, sprockets, and the output gearbox and wheel bearings. It could get expensive in a hurry. I tried adjusting the chain on my lift on the centerstand and then rechecked on the floor with the side stand. There was a big difference. While doing this on a lift is easier I now know why the manual specifically stated to make the slack measurement on the side stand. On the centerstand with the suspension unloaded my adjustment was too tight.
2014 BMW R1200 GSAW
2016 BMW S1000XR

dysfunctional