Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Rapid Bike Easy - WARNING  (Read 2665 times)

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
  • Bike: '17 VFR1200X DCT
  • Town: SoCal
Rapid Bike Easy - WARNING
« on: November 11, 2018, 02:45:14 AM »
At about 1000 miles I installed a Rapid Bike Easy as well as a set of Dymag forged wheels. I noticed right off that the shift assist was working as usual when the bike was cold but shifted harsher with more of a shock when the bike was warmed up. I spoke with Dymag and they suspected it had to do with the cush drive rubbers which are way smaller and harder not having as much give as the originals. I accepted that explanation and just got used to it. Fast forward to today with 14,000 miles when the Easy failed. All of the sudden the bike started stalling at idle and drinking gas like crazy taking my normal 40 mpg down to 30 mpg. Halfway through the day I remembered the Easy and stopped and removed it. My mileage immediately went back up to where it was which was as expected but what I didn't expect was that the shift assist also went back to smooth engagement as it was before the wheels and Easy were installed. Obviously the Easy not only tricked the system into running richer at slow speeds like it was supposed to but also messed with something that caused the algorithm that controls the shifting to malfunction resulting in harsh shifts. So it turns out from this experience that the Easy is not such a good add-on for this bike after all.

Marc
'18 Honda Goldwing DCT
'17 Honda VFR1200X DCT

Offline smithy

• XR Master
  • Bike: 2017 S1000XR
  • Town: Sydney.
Re: Rapid Bike Easy - WARNING
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2018, 07:42:01 AM »
I have the Rapid Bike Evo and it has been brilliant. It also has the ability to allow you adjust the shift assist timings...or you can leave them standard ....I changed the 3rd & 4th up-shift timings slightly as they were a bit abrupt with standard timing, we're only talking milliseconds though..they're now near perfect. Fuel economy is as good as it always was and I get well over 320km to a tank.

Smithy.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather....not screaming like the passengers in his car..!

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2018, 09:07:51 AM »
Seems a bit harsh?

All you can really claim is: “An electronic module - failed”

(Unless you have also tried other shift settings like Smithy?)

Get in touch with the manufacturer/importer and see what they say.

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 01:57:53 PM »
*Originally Posted by Mareng1 [+]
(Unless you have also tried other shift settings like Smithy?)
The Easy is plug & play, there are no shift settings to adjust. I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.
Marc
'18 Honda Goldwing DCT
'17 Honda VFR1200X DCT

Offline MR-TiGGer

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: St. Helens
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 05:43:43 PM »
Curiosity question as to why the mod in the first place? The fuelling, shifter and power delivery are the things that blew me away on the test ride.
What benefits did you notice over factory?
Not personally qualified to confuse cats, but I can recommend an extremely good service.

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
*Originally Posted by marcparnes [+]
The Easy is plug & play, there are no shift settings to adjust. I'm waiting to hear back from the manufacturer.
Marc

Missed that bit.  :187:

Offline marcparnes

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2018, 08:05:08 PM »
I went from a 16 to this 18 and noticed that the new one had a bit of roughness at small throttle openings so I thought the Easy might improve it which it did. Of course I had no idea it would negatively effect the shift assist as well. I'm just going to leave it stock now. Lesson learned.

Marc
'18 Honda Goldwing DCT
'17 Honda VFR1200X DCT

Offline Winger

• XR God
  • Town: Birmingham
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2018, 08:39:13 PM »
*Originally Posted by MR-TiGGer [+]
Curiosity question as to why the mod in the first place? The fuelling, shifter and power delivery are the things that blew me away on the test ride.
What benefits did you notice over factory?

I don’t think anyone does/would but after a few miles and the honeymoon period wears off bottom end fuelling certainly isn’t the best,first time I started filtering in traffic or town riding two up very quickly thought ‘Blimey this isn’t great’and the only option is rain or road,I went a different route to these guys but fixed it is.

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2018, 09:58:12 PM »
Can't remember which thread my post was in about my experience with the rapid bike easy but i wasn't happy with it at all. From the moment I plugged it in the bike over fuelled heavily and my mpg dropped from 42 to 30. I also noticed the bike running way too rich at idle and would cut out at lights. Luckily I had these symptoms straight away and got them to swap the unit. Unluckily the 2nd unit did exactly the same. I didn't have the unit on long enough to give an opinion about whether it affected the quickshifter or not. I also don't use the QS every time either so it may well have affected it but I hadn't noticed. Think I only had it on for a total of 100 miles and I'm glad it was only 100 miles too.

The whole experience made me think what am I doing messing about with this bike? I was so happy to have it back at stock after that ordeal. Its been stock ever since.

Hope you haven't done any lasting damage to your gearbox mate.

Offline Norbs

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2018, 12:05:04 AM »
https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,1979.100.html

My experiences with the rapid bike easy are on posts #82 and #108