Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: What Intercom System?  (Read 978 times)

Offline feeb

• XR Member
  • Town: Leslie, Fife
What Intercom System?
« on: November 13, 2018, 07:46:57 AM »
Looking to buy an intercom system for rider/pillion.
Seems to be quite a big choice out there.
I need it to be able to connect to my Android phone and BMW navigator.
Also need to communicate with other riders when out in a group.
Does this mean that they need to have the same make of intercom?
Any advice/recommendations would be appreciated.
 :821:

Offline LAMBO281

• XR Pro
  • Live the dream and ride 247
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Berkshire UK
Re: What Intercom System?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 08:38:16 AM »
I’ve got a scala rider system, brilliant!

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 01:12:20 PM »
Hi I have had Autocom systems for 20 plus years and apart from them just getting old have not had any issues.
The one I have now I have had for over 5 years and apart from adding a Bluetooth connection to it see no need to change.
The Autocom is a bit big and you have to plug in every time you get on and off the Bluetooth is ok most of the time but now and again the it just looses the sound to the headsets from the Sat Nav.

This said I did get a set of Sena Bluetooth headsets and test them and gave up after a month or so and sold them. I could hear my pillion and the Sat Nav but they could not hear the Sat Nav or music and I could not get the phone or the music to work if I had my pillion set paired.

I did get it connected to a mates Bluetooth head set and we could sort of talk but the moment you were out of sight of one another or we lost the pairing and would have to repair the Bluetooth.

The big issue I have had with all Bluetooth is that for no reason it just un-pairs and then you have to mess about getting it working again.

Just one thing to think on is in most of Europe you can not have inner ear headphones EG: like the Apple or other head sets but you can have speakers in the helmet.

One last thing see if you can test a mates before you buy!
After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline SimonUK

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR,S1000R
  • Town: Upstate, SC
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2018, 01:34:26 PM »
I (and my wife), have been using Sena BT(various models) for the past 10 years, perform great for what I want - headset connected to Nav VI, Nav VI connected to phone, and have intercoms with the good lady. Listen to music and directions from the Nav VI, have the option to phone(though I generally do not use it). All works well for me.

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 01:58:18 PM »
Read Up on CARDO SCALA PACKTALK BOLD. Not cheap but very good, it will also allow you to communicate with other bluetooth systems. Plus no faffing with pressing buttons, to talk with other riders ( Upto 15 it states ). As I have said not cheap, My Mate swears by it. And when I upgrade my old system, thats the way I will probably go...
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Offline bazzer

• XR Master
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 03:19:04 PM »
Happy Senna 20S user here.

Offline Gazk

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000xr SE Sport
  • Town: Leicester
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 03:52:35 PM »
I had the Sena SMH10R-01 Low Profile and just could not get them to do what I needed them to do back and fourth with Sena help and having worked in IT for like 20 years I tried everything, to be sure you can connect to other Bluetooth headsets but it just would not let the BMW Sat Nav talk to the other head set EG it would only talk to one head set at a time.

May be it just did not like me  :012:

After over thirty years behind the bars, I’ve still not done it all or seen it all.

https://www.youtube.com/user/emmanuelgoldstein1

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 04:56:05 PM »
*Originally Posted by Gazk [+]
I had the Sena SMH10R-01 Low Profile and just could not get them to do what I needed them to do back and fourth with Sena help and having worked in IT for like 20 years I tried everything, to be sure you can connect to other Bluetooth headsets but it just would not let the BMW Sat Nav talk to the other head set EG it would only talk to one head set at a time.

May be it just did not like me  :012:
According to the Nav 5 manual only one headset can be active at a time.....

Offline Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 05:34:47 PM »
Reviewers seemed to love the Sena kit, but real-world feedback is not so great.

Sena were the first to claim to be compatible with other makes, but in practice it is not as easy to use in that mode as you might expect.

For an initial foray into bike comms - why not get the cheapest of the Scala units, which also have bike to bike comms.   Have a look and see who is selling 2nd hand matched pair.   If you buy, use for a season  - resell and get the latest all-singing/all dancing system.

Pal of mine recently bought a Scala Rider 4 (complete, great condition) for £60.    Buy a couple of them would be my advice.

Then - consider trading up.

Or - Jump right in and get a Packtalk pair (but that’s quite a commitment ££££)

Online Bree

• XR God
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2018, 06:29:50 PM »
Agree with Mareng1, Cardo Scarla packtalk bold, great bit of kit but not cheap, new around £370.00 but if you want the latest upto date comm's then thats the way to go. Or as Mareng1 says buy a used bit of kit, and trade up. One of my mate's a real finicky buggar, when it comes to new tech, but he rave's about this comm's system. 

Go onto youtube and Type in  `Complete Packtalk Bold Tutorial ` watch the vid, very interesting makes my comm's system look like two cans connected by string.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 06:56:34 PM by Bree »
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

dysfunctional