Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Tank Bag recommendations?  (Read 1355 times)

Offline orbits

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
Tank Bag recommendations?
« on: November 13, 2018, 09:38:14 PM »
I'm looking for a tank bag and with the NEC show coming up it would be nice to have a few ideas in mind. So what works well for you?

I'm thinking ~5-12L size; so 'day pack' really.

The OEM XR one looks quite nice, but poss a little large(?) and certainly pricey...but if it's worth it, maybe. Other ideas so far have been SW Motech, Givi and Touratech.

My main asks are; decent looking, practical, stable on bike, and quick to fit/remove when you find a cafe! I've never owned one with the tanklock / ring-base fitting, but it looks the way to go and I'd prefer that to straps and clips everywhere I reckon.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 09:39:43 PM by orbits »

Online Mareng1

• XR Master
  • Town: Scotland
Re: Tank Bag recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2018, 09:52:07 PM »
I like this small bag

Givi ST602 Sport-T Tanklock Tank Bag - 4ltr

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/290003

Not huge, but you don't want anything too heavy mounted the way this is.   Secure, but disconnects easily.

Offline wessie

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2016 XR SE Sport
  • Town: Cheltenham
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2018, 10:24:47 PM »
definitely get one of the tanklock types - Givi/Kappa (same company) or SW Motech

I use a RA308 Kappa bag but you might find this a bit big. 15 litre and expandable. Givi XS307 is very similar and on offer at https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/209423

Offline OW31

• XR Member
  • Town: Brisbane
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:26:53 AM »
*Originally Posted by orbits [+]
I'm looking for a tank bag and with the NEC show coming up it would be nice to have a few ideas in mind. So what works well for you?

I'm thinking ~5-12L size; so 'day pack' really.

The OEM XR one looks quite nice, but poss a little large(?) and certainly pricey...but if it's worth it, maybe. Other ideas so far have been SW Motech, Givi and Touratech.

My main asks are; decent looking, practical, stable on bike, and quick to fit/remove when you find a cafe! I've never owned one with the tanklock / ring-base fitting, but it looks the way to go and I'd prefer that to straps and clips everywhere I reckon.

Cheers.
I have the BMW one, I like it, it fits properly not sitting in the air like the aftermarket ones. I usually use it  non-expanded and it's pretty unobtrusive like that. It's a bit big when you expand it tho'.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:27:29 AM by OW31 »

Online bazzer

• XR Pro
  • Town: Waterlooville
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 07:07:40 AM »
I have a few SW Motech bags and they work really well. I have a powered one on the XR so I can charge phone etc inside it. The customer service is also pretty good too.

Offline Martin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: 2018 Sport SE
  • Town: West Berks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »
I have the SW Motech daypack and I’ve been very pleased with it.  At 5l It’s big enough for all my normal gear (sat nav, gloves etc) but if you need a bit more space it expands to 9l.  You can also use a screw to lock it on the tank ring from the inside.  If I want to leave it on the bike, I lock it on the tank ring and put a padlock through the zip.  Sure, it won’t stop a determined thief, but it’s enough for low risk situations.

https://www.sw-motech-shop.co.uk/evo-daypack-tank-bag-5-9-l-for-evo-tank-ring-blackgrey-

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 07:39:18 AM by Martin »

Online bazzer

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 07:58:07 AM »
The daypack is a great bag, I have one of those and I have a City for when I was touring. I had the bigger GS bag for a while and its a nice bag but bigger than I need now I have a coffin sized to box :-)

I have a Sport on my Tuono APRC

So I am a bit of a fan :-)

Offline grizzle

• XR Pro
  • Bike: HP Motorsport
  • Town: North Wales
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 09:35:05 AM »
I have had 2 Givi tanklock bags for over 3 years
Both work perfectly for me, one for days out and the other for touring to carry valuable items, camera, phone, passport etc
Givi XS 307 XStream 15 litre
Givi MT505 5 litre
Easy on and off, kept clear of bodywork
Ideal for what I want

Offline Bree

• XR God
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 01:14:40 PM »
I use the Givi LUA03090  3 litre tank lock bag. Ideal for me, as I use it just for keeping ferry tickets, passport, change, phone, sunnies, disc lock, camera, spare ear plugs, side stand enlarger for soft ground,  ect on hand. Easy to remove and can be locked in a pannier if away from the bike.
Everything  Will Be Alright In The End, If Not Then Its Not The End.

Online bazzer

• XR Pro
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 01:29:11 PM »
I actually had the tankloc bag on my Street Triple and it was very good. I switched to the SW motech bags when I sold it and got the Tuono as they didn't do a ring for it at the time.

Both good solutions.

dysfunctional