Author [ES] [CA] [PL] [PT] [IT] [DE] [FR] [NL] [DK] [NO] [GR] [TR] Topic: Suicidal satnav  (Read 1046 times)

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
  • Bike: S1000XR
  • Town: Birmingham
Suicidal satnav
« on: November 14, 2018, 11:17:33 PM »
I don't know what I did earlier but my Nav 6 took a dive off the mount. Obviously it wasn't clicked in properly. It was dark so I don't recall seeing the red stripe on top that would indicate it wasn't clicked home.
It was almost comical really. The spring kicked it out and it bounced once on the tank and then into the middle of the road.
Approaching a junction in slow traffic, I stopped and got off to pick it up striaght away. The silly sod behind pulled out around me and in doing so drove his front near side wheel directly over the Nav 6. I was livid.
I admit I shouted and cursed a bit before I could retrieve it from the road, and to the one behind who very nearly did the same.

Result is lots of road rash to the back but it still works apparently fine. It seems the unit is pretty sturdy after all. I was just lucky it was screen side up.
But it set me thinking about the key locking plate that you find on apparently all other BM's except the XR.
Perhaps somewhat ironically I actually have one sitting idle that I just never got around to modding for the XR.
Lesson learned. If it can fall off, it will. What was it..... 'clunck click, every trip' ? Well I thought I had.

Next thing I do to the bike will be to fit the locking plate that it should already have from the factory!  I suggest you do the same.

Offline aviator

• XR Pro
  • COL. US Army
  • Town: Chattanooga, TN
Re: Suicidal satnav
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 11:31:25 PM »
Sorry to hear.
That was the first thing I did upgrade on the XR. So happy with the lock and key cradle.
Aviator
Current Bikes: 2018 BMW S1000XR, BMW 1200GSAw, Husqvarna FE501s, Suzuki DR650 SE

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 11:36:34 PM »
I've learned my lesson. I just think that it should be on this bike to start with. No excuse for BM not making a security locking plate for the XR in my opinion.
Still, it could have been much more costly. I just hope someone else reads this to their benefit.
My last satnav was a Zumo 550 and I ALWAYS made sure to lock the security screw.

The last time I had that feeling was when I lost the seat cowl from my Triumph Daytona at motorway speed.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 11:38:08 PM by Nelster »

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
  • Bike: S1000XR Sport SE
  • Town: Ilminster
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »
Where do you get these lock thingies from? Is it a BMW part?

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:18:32 PM »
Its the same part(s) fitted to most other bikes that have the nav mount.

Theres another thread with more details here https://www.s1000xr.uk/index.php/topic,1060.0.html

Offline PaulS1000XR

• XR Master
  • Bike: S1000XR SE
  • Town: Worcester, UK
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2018, 09:55:19 AM »
Yep the sat nav mount needs care to ensure it is fully engaged. Had the same thing with another bike - came off at 60 MPH and ended up in the middle of the road and ran back hoping a car would not run over it - fortunately I got to it first. Sort of mistake you only make once.  :305:
PSH

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 05:23:03 PM »
Have ordered the bits as per the link (thanks Nelster), that should prevent any unwanted ejection....

Offline Nelster

• XR Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:29:50 PM »
It will need spacing out around 20mm or so from the mount, so you can use the key lock. That's why it's not fitted to the XR as OE.

Offline merlin

• XR Pro
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2018, 06:48:49 PM »
OK ta. I read about the mods on the other thread...

dysfunctional